Cold weather suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cold weather suspension noise

So figure this one out. My 05 6MT makes a creaking noise in the suspension from what seems to be the Front Driver Side, but it only happens in cold weather and when I'm accelerating while turning (as from a stop sign or light). Once the wheel straightens out the noise stops. Ride is still smooth and fine but the noise is just annoying. I also noticed this stopped during the warm summer months but has now come back in the late fall cool weather. Any ideas, something to worry about or just ignore?

I did a search but nothing seemed to match up with what I have going on
Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 AM
04' tl 6 spd

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
have the same problem, hope soneone could help us out
Old 11-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i think the problem you guys have is normal. IDK if you guys are lowered on springs, but if u guys are then don't worry about it. around winter time, when temperatures are lower than usual, the springs tend to stiffen up a bit and make a noise when weight is put on top of it. I personally dont have springs, but i drove my friend's Lancer who is lowered on springs, and his car makes that noise too during this time of year in Chicago . Its a squeaking noise right?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
I'll take a stab at it and say check the top hat assembly. Try spraying some WD40 into the middle to give it a try.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 AM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
These are situations which it helps greatly to be physically present.

Could be power steering related, front lower ball-joints or perhaps one of the front subframe bushings.

I don't think it's top hat because it is a shock assembly with bushings and metal inner sleeve. I've had extensive experience with those type of Honda suspension and never had squeaking from that area. You can get knocks into the body due to degraded bushings or missing the thick bump stop washer in shock assembly. Strut setups sometimes have bearings in top hats which could result in squeak type noises when turning.

Last edited by HondaFan81; 11-03-2010 at 11:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Italiano (12-10-2013)
Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I jumped on here tonight to research this same exact problem. 2005 6MT with no mods was making this noise last winter but only for the first minute or two when it was driven. No noise during the summer. Now that it is cool again, the noise has returned. Mine seems to be coming from the front passenger side. Almost sounds like a clicking noise.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Normal for an aging suspension. Same compliance is not there anymore and it becomes more obvious during colder climates. You can always try spraying some WD-40 on the the part where the springs make contact with the strut.... just spray the entire spring. If the noise goes away then consider a silicone based spray for your next application as it will last longer. Or just live with it... as long as no handling characteristics are affected.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 11-14-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old thread...thought I'd bump it to see if anyone else narrowed this down and/or any lessons learned. Same symptoms as mentioned above except only on front passenger.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
cv joints. check your joint boots for tears or leaks. In either case, if it only occurs during turning it's axles. Mine weren't torn but made a rhythmic creaking noise that was dependent on speed.

it almost sounds like an old ship creaking. Replaced my axle on the passenger side and it was gone. the noise is the joint binding.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
I.have a squeak coming from the rear driver side when I hit bumps in excess off 20mph.I have a 08 type s w/ 50k mi it doesn't happen constantly I'd say 50-70 percent of the bumps any help/ advice would help please
Old 12-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Stock suspension too
Old 12-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Anyone?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:57 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
In my experience that's usually a bushing creaking related to cold temps. The turn while accelerating could be causing the car to "twist" or weight the suspension in a mode different than driving down the road.

I had a Saab 900s with a front stabilizer bar that's bushings would creak like a door in a horror movie for the first few shots it took in the cold. Some suggested trying to spray silicone lube into the bushings but most agreed it wasn't going to "get in there" and do anything anyway.

I'd say if all the boots and joints check out OK then its just an old bushing that squeaks in low temps. It may not be worth hunting down.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the inputs. I should have narrowed down that mine is of the variety that only happens when it's cold and does eventually go away as the car warms up. I don't hear it (once the car has been driving) over bumps and don't hear it during warmer (above feezing) weather. No degradation of performance driving the car either. I have stock suspension and nothing has been changed to date. I think also telling is that I had it into the dealership twice for them to inspect and they found nothing wrong or worn. My dealership isn't one to typically upsell me on bogus fixes so getting their validation twice is helping me decide that it's nothing more than an inconvenience at this point and nothing serious or warranting spending any money on just yet. I'll have to try the lubricating advice I saw with the bushings with WD-40...guess that won't hurt.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:01 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by USNA93
...WD-40...guess that won't hurt.
I guess I've always preferred petroleum free silicone spray for stuff like this. WD40 isn't always the easiest on rubbery bits as odd as that would sound considering the amount of petroleum products related to autos.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Just experienced the same thing. I think today is the lowest in the season so far in Chicago: 0F. Without taking the wheel off, I stuck my head behind it and everything looks good at a glance. I noticed it only happens on turns and not while hard accelerating or braking, indicating it's probably not coming from somewhere on the strut assembly. I'm going to check the tie rod ends, the CV axle boots, and the sway bar bushings.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Axles click when cold. I have the noise too. Goes away in summer so I dont care haha.

could try to tighten the axle nuts.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
creaking noise solved

Hey guys, I recebtly had extensive suspension work done on my 2007 TL Type S, due to me running over a curb.
My dealership/insurance replaced almost every suspension component imaginable on the driver front. It's all brand new now.
However, after a week or so i started hearing a loud squeak/creak every time id run over a speedbump, pull in a drive way, accelerate from a stop sign, even getting in the car my body weight would make it squeak. And it got louder with colder weather. Very very annoying.
I took it back to dealer and they couldnt hear it (yeah right). So i took it to a reputable mechanic here in Houston, and they solved it.......it was my CONTROL ARM. The NUT wasn't tight enough. After tightening it even more, all the squeaks went away!
Hope this helps, and at least it can be added to your checklist when troubleshooting.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
its could be the following:

transmission mounts
compliance bushing / lower control arm.

If you want to test it out.
Jack up the car,
remove FL wheel.

Remove the strut fork and endlink.

Move the Lower control arm up and down by hand and see if you hear a creak.
That's how I determined my compliance bushings were shot.
Not to mention the swaying I would feel in the front end when driving.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T2005L
So figure this one out. My 05 6MT makes a creaking noise in the suspension from what seems to be the Front Driver Side, but it only happens in cold weather and when I'm accelerating while turning (as from a stop sign or light). Once the wheel straightens out the noise stops. Ride is still smooth and fine but the noise is just annoying. I also noticed this stopped during the warm summer months but has now come back in the late fall cool weather. Any ideas, something to worry about or just ignore?

I did a search but nothing seemed to match up with what I have going on
I experience the same issue. The grease in the CV joints gets hard in the cold weather (especially with high mileage and lots of use). As the grease warms up (after you drive a mile or so) it flows again and your noise is gone. This is also why you don't hear it in warm weather, the grease is still soft enough to flow freely. Your boots don't have to be torn for this to be an issue, but it is a sign that the CV's are getting up there in their service life. When they start making that noise all the time, regardless of how warm it is, look to replace them soon.

Originally Posted by ez12a
cv joints. check your joint boots for tears or leaks. In either case, if it only occurs during turning it's axles. Mine weren't torn but made a rhythmic creaking noise that was dependent on speed.

it almost sounds like an old ship creaking. Replaced my axle on the passenger side and it was gone. the noise is the joint binding.
Very good description, not quite the clicking of a bad CV but a creaking from poor lubrication.

Originally Posted by USNA93
Thanks to everyone for the inputs. I should have narrowed down that mine is of the variety that only happens when it's cold and does eventually go away as the car warms up. I don't hear it (once the car has been driving) over bumps and don't hear it during warmer (above feezing) weather. No degradation of performance driving the car either. I have stock suspension and nothing has been changed to date. I think also telling is that I had it into the dealership twice for them to inspect and they found nothing wrong or worn. My dealership isn't one to typically upsell me on bogus fixes so getting their validation twice is helping me decide that it's nothing more than an inconvenience at this point and nothing serious or warranting spending any money on just yet. I'll have to try the lubricating advice I saw with the bushings with WD-40...guess that won't hurt.
If your dealer couldn't hear it after the grease was softened they wouldn't be able to diagnose it. Good for them not guessing and trying to get you to spend money anyway. This can easily still happen when your boots are still intact so that wouldn't be a visual cue either.

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
Just experienced the same thing. I think today is the lowest in the season so far in Chicago: 0F. Without taking the wheel off, I stuck my head behind it and everything looks good at a glance. I noticed it only happens on turns and not while hard accelerating or braking, indicating it's probably not coming from somewhere on the strut assembly. I'm going to check the tie rod ends, the CV axle boots, and the sway bar bushings.
Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Axles click when cold. I have the noise too. Goes away in summer so I dont care haha.

could try to tighten the axle nuts.
You can always try pulling the boot back and injecting more grease, it may or may not help. Start saving for new CV joints and just pay attention to it the sound. When it happens regardless of ambient temps, time for new CV's.