G2 Android phone/Acura Bluetooth audio mess

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G2 Android phone/Acura Bluetooth audio mess

I recently discovered what a treat it is to play audiobooks while I drive.

And allegedly, my Android and TL Bluetooth Audio makes that a snap, right?

Well, here's my experience.

1. I turn on my Android phone's Bluetooth (T-Mobile G2) and get in the car (2011 Acura TL w/ Tech package). The car immediately recognizes the phone. Great!

2. As soon as I switch the car's radio/audio button over to Bluetooth audio, my phone instantly pulls up an MP3 player and begins playing a song.

3. But I don't want a song! In fact, there seems to be nothing I can do to stop my Acura from ordering my Android to play something every single time I switch the radio to Bluetooth audio. Annoying. I thought maybe the problem was an app, because it was always DoubleTwist that would automatically start playing. So I deleted DoubleTwist. Now it's WinAmp that starts playing. So it must be something about the phone. For whatever reason, I now have to dial the Acura Bluetooth menu over to Pause/Resume to stop it.

4. Finally--after all that--I can pull up my audiobook player and start to listen via Bluetooth audio. Bliss.

5. Oops, there's my phone ringing, which my Acura Bluetooth phone function quickly answers. It's my wife.

Wife: "Hi, I just wanted to see if you're driving your car."
Me: "Why, yes. Yes, I am driving my car. Thanks so much for asking."
Wife: "OK, goodbye!"
Me: "Goodbye. Thanks so much for calling."

6. When the phone hangs up, ALL Bluetooth audio ceases. I think the connection remains, because any player app I have will show the seconds ticking off if you ask it play something, but you can't hear anything, neither on the phone speaker nor on the car audio. It's as if the phone is transmitting it to the car but the car has its Bluetooth audio turned completely down? Who knows? But it's a bummer.

7. No button-pushing on the car seems to fix things, so I turn the Bluetooth radio on my phone off, then on.

8. Now, we're all reset. Whoops! There's that annoying song again. Got to turn that off. Then back to the audiobook player. Then back to the book.

9. Five more minutes of bliss until the next call.

10. I dunno. Shouldn't this be easier? Hopefully, I've pulled off the road several times while all this was going on. If I try to deal with it while I'm driving I'm certain to wrap my car around a telephone pole, which is embarrasing no matter who you are.

I'll probably have to cross-post this to both the Acura genius's board and the G2 genius's board since I'm not sure where the issue lies. Let me know if you have any clues.

Thank you!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Fascinate works fine with my TL.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
This may seem like a silly question but I'll ask anyway.. how do I get the headunit to read and play via bluetooth from my phone? Is this something that has to be acccessed through the menu system? I sure don't see a button for it... or am I missing something?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Press the HDD/Aux button 2 times.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you switch to Bluetooth, the attached device is going to start playing something... If you didn't want something to play, then don't switch to the device. That would be like switching to the radio and expecting it to not play anything until you select a station. The solution here is to have something you want to hear ready to go on your phone. That way, when it starts playing, it's playing something you want to listen to. So in your case, if you want to listen to audiobooks on your phone, have the audiobook playlest queued up or hit play on the audiobook track and immediately pause it. That way, when you switch to Bluetooth, it starts playing from where it was paused. Keep in mind, some media player apps will handle this behavior differently and some will give you more/less options in how it responds to Bluetooth connections.

I haven't experienced your issues with audio not coming back after concluding a phone call. When I finish a call and hit the hangup button it resumes where the audio left off. Are you pressing hangup or just letting the other party hangup and doing nothing on your end?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
This may seem like a silly question but I'll ask anyway.. how do I get the headunit to read and play via bluetooth from my phone? Is this something that has to be acccessed through the menu system? I sure don't see a button for it... or am I missing something?
There's also the voice command "BLUETOOTH PLAY."
Old 05-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by normallywho
There's also the voice command "BLUETOOTH PLAY."
Now that is wwaaaaayy too simple for me! LOL.. thanks! Sheesh.. the ole KISS principle at work here
Old 05-07-2011, 06:10 PM
4th Gear

First, thanks to everyone for all replies!

When you switch to Bluetooth, the attached device is going to start playing something... If you didn't want something to play, then don't switch to the device. That would be like switching to the radio and expecting it to not play anything until you select a station. The solution here is to have something you want to hear ready to go on your phone. That way, when it starts playing, it's playing something you want to listen to. So in your case, if you want to listen to audiobooks on your phone, have the audiobook playlest queued up or hit play on the audiobook track and immediately pause it. That way, when you switch to Bluetooth, it starts playing from where it was paused. Keep in mind, some media player apps will handle this behavior differently and some will give you more/less options in how it responds to Bluetooth connections.
I appreciate the logic of that. It makes perfect sense. So, I really shouldn't look at the fact that something starts playing as a bug. I still have one problem remaining, however. Among media players, audiobook players are a little specialized. For example, there is a proprietary one from Audible (which I've never used). I have another player designed specifically for audiobooks on my phone. The audio format itself isn't unique--I mostly listen to .MP3 audiobooks. But the player is specialized. In addition, there are several typical media players on my phone.

The problem? Even if my audio book player is playing an audiobook when I click over to Bluetooth on the radio, the phone will still trigger one of those reg'lar media players to begin playing an .MP3 song. At that point then, I have two audio players on my phone playing through the Bluetooth simultaneously.

It's a mystery to me why all my audio apps won't behave in the way you suggest. There must be something different about my audiobook player.

As an aside, your response makes me think of something else. (Forgetting the audiobook player for second) although I have several media players, only one (and always the same one) starts playing when I click to Bluetooth. For example, it was always DoubleTwist that responded until I deleted it; now it's always WinAmp. That means there must be some kind of hierarchy or order in which they respond to the "Bluetooth Play" command. I wonder if I can figure out how that's determined.

I haven't experienced your issues with audio not coming back after concluding a phone call. When I finish a call and hit the hangup button it resumes where the audio left off. Are you pressing hangup or just letting the other party hangup and doing nothing on your end?
I can't guarantee that I've tried hitting the hangup button. So far my technique has been limited to blindly mashing all the buttons on the dashboard in a rage-filled tantrum.

I'll focus on the hangup button and let you know if you solved that problem. Thank you very much!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by KeithAdv
...When the phone hangs up, ALL Bluetooth audio ceases. I think the connection remains, because any player app I have will show the seconds ticking off if you ask it play something, but you can't hear anything, neither on the phone speaker nor on the car audio. It's as if the phone is transmitting it to the car but the car has its Bluetooth audio turned completely down? Who knows? But it's a bummer.

I can't guarantee that I've tried hitting the hangup button. So far my technique has been limited to blindly mashing all the buttons on the dashboard in a rage-filled tantrum.

I'll focus on the hangup button and let you know if you solved that problem. Thank you very much!
Okay, so I've spent some more time on this and I can verify that when I hit the hangup button nothing happens.

Having said that...I just started googling around and am finding other Acura TL owners complaining that the hang-up button on their TL's doesn't or didn't work with their particular phones either. Sometimes that got resolved with a later phone update. I'm going to test this tonight, but for the first time I'm wondering if I'm in the same boat.

In other words, the specific problem may not be that the bluetooth audio isn't coming back when the bluetooth phone function is completed; the problem may be that the hangup button just isn't working with my phone and I've been under the illusion that it does (because my phone disconnects when the other party hangs up anyway).

I'd be interested to hear if others have similar issues or know that their hangup button works perfectly. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

I am driving a loaner ZDX (unfortunately my 2003 CL doesn't have the fancy bluetooth option) but I had the same issue, when you connect with the bluetooth audio it launches the music player and I cannot figure out a way to shut that off other than pause the song and then play the streaming app(audiogalaxy) I want to play. There are not any settings controlling how bluetooth streaming audio is handled on the phone from what I can see.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
This is a particular issue, not an issue of the TL. I had the same trouble with my iPhone 3GS., if I recall correctly.