Disappointed with ELS vs pre-2004 Bose Factory

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappointed with ELS vs pre-2004 Bose Factory

I just bought a like-new 2008 TL Type-S. I love it, with the glaring exception that I just spent the better part of $2000 replacing the absolutely awful factory speakers and subwoofer and installing an amp. I was shocked to see that the stock speakers and subwoofer were made of cardboard and weighed approximately the same as an egg carton.

I am a very loyal Acura driver, but Acura should be ashamed of themselves for putting that sorry excuse of a sound system in a car that cost well over $40K new.

Anyone else had issues and replaced all or parts of the stereo?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Bose isn't exactly something to brag about either. I think I'm more annoyed by the non-DIN HU slot than the quality of the system. Its "fine" for the average buyer. Its pretty much a given that you'll be pulling out stock stuff if you care about audio. Making it difficult or impossible to replace stuff really sucks.

There are a ton of people who have replaced the speakers/amp. Not many with a replacement HU.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 AM
9th Gear

I'm not saying the Bose factory radio would be on par with a high-end aftermarket stereo, but it was head and shoulders above the ELS. I'm no audiophile, and I wasn't out to get a stereo that would rattle people's windows when I drive by or anything, but I did want something that sounded crisp and rich, with good high and low sound. Not the case at all with the ELS.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also am unimpressed with the TL's speakers. It sounds no better than the stock system in my friend's Sunfire. I would expect more from a luxury car.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jkuzmick
I just bought a like-new 2008 TL Type-S. I love it, with the glaring exception that I just spent the better part of $2000 replacing the absolutely awful factory speakers and subwoofer and installing an amp. I was shocked to see that the stock speakers and subwoofer were made of cardboard and weighed approximately the same as an egg carton.

I am a very loyal Acura driver, but Acura should be ashamed of themselves for putting that sorry excuse of a sound system in a car that cost well over $40K new.

I was shocked too ....when I took out the cardboard speakers

Just upgrade and get something to be satisfied with . I sure am
Old 07-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI: Bose is also using cardboard speakers, I believe its sound better than rubber.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
ELS & BOSE - its marketing, If you tell me your bose home system sounds great, then its your hearing thats bad !!!

Acura TL is not a LUXURY CAR!!!

And its not Marketed as a LUXURY CAR
Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by jkuzmick

I agree 100%. I've heard better sounding system on the Toyota Camry then the TL.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Did you try DTS 5.1 its sounds amazing on TL, there is some MJ's an kesha DTS on torrent download any try it.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Advanced

my old pontiac g6 had a better system and it was the base model...
Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by sanjayjp99
Did you try DTS 5.1 its sounds amazing on TL, there is some MJ's an kesha DTS on torrent download any try it.
Do you have a link or something as I am not sure how to download it via torrent. TIA.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by xxx_busa
ELS & BOSE - its marketing, If you tell me your bose home system sounds great, then its your hearing thats bad !!!

Acura TL is not a LUXURY CAR!!!

And its not Marketed as a LUXURY CAR
the TL isn't a luxury car?
and it's not marketed as a luxury car?

Do you know what TL stands for?
Touring Luxury

and all acuras to my knowledge were intended to be sold as japanese entry-level luxury cars, a step up from honda. Legend, TL, RL, Vigor.

acura is no bmw or mbenz..... but is still considered entry level luxury in my eyes.

The TL was Acura's best-selling model until it was outsold most recently by the MDX since 2007, and it has ranked as the second best-selling luxury sedan in the United States behind the BMW 3 Series
Class--------Mid-size luxury car
The 2006 Acura TL won ConsumerSearch's "Best sports sedan with luxury touches" in Best Luxury Cars in September 2006.
The 2006 Acura TL won ConsumerSearch's "Best blend of sport and luxury" in its list of Best Sports Sedans in June 2006.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Wallet raped by my

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
As an installer we have a motto for Bose. "If it has no highs and has no lows it must be Bose". I have been to the Bose plant in Columbia, SC. I was invited by one of the mobile audio designers that came into the store I worked at after I started bashing how bad there factory installed systems were. Explaining to him that I had replaced so many of there systems due to horrible designs, quality, and manufacturing.

On another note.... I have never heard a premium sound system sound good period.

Oh and if Acura isn't a luxury brand you might want to inform Acura. I just recently did a survey from them after getting service done to my car and one of the questions were "Was the service what you expected from a luxury auto manufacturer?"

Last edited by Gryphen; 08-04-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/1...5/?tab=summary (kesha Animal 5.1 dts)

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/1...1/?tab=summary (M.J history 2)

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/1...7/?tab=summary (M.J history 1)

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/2...3/?tab=summary (teenage dream 5.1)
Old 08-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Interesting. My factory speakers were poly, not "cardboard". The sub was paper. Nothing wrong with this material. My current 15" subs are paper and are by far the best sounding subs I've ever heard.

The Tl's system is average but with a 5.1 disk in there it's comparable to an average aftermarket system. It just comes alive with one of those disks. Too bad they stopped making them.

The stock speakers aren't the weak link, it's the amplification. Throw an amp in there and you will be surprised at how good it sounds. The stock sub has to go though.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
^Good info. Any recommendations on amp size? May replace the front speakers in the future with some drop in focals.

My 99 TL sounded good after adding tweets and subs. The factory bose mids balanced well with my setup. The wife actually liked it.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Im also a 2008 Acura TL owner..and im very unsatisfied with my stock speakers (ELS Surround sound)...

when i had my 2003 TL TYPE S the system was much better....cleaner more crisp...and even louder...

but i was wondering have anyone tried using the 2nd GEN Bose System swap into our 3rd Gen?...4 door speakers and the Sub?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
It would not be worth the effort at all. I doubt the speakers would make any difference. Add a small amp to the stock speakers and I bet you like the sound a lot more than the factory Bose system.

You guys will think I'm crazy but I'm not sold on the high end amps strictly for SQ. I think they're worth it in other ways, features, build quality, looks, meeting or exceeding the power rating, etc. But strictly SQ I really can't tell a difference between my $100 Interfire and $1,700 (when new in '97) MacIntosh. If you're just amping a set of stock speakers or lower end aftermarkets and you're running passives and don't need bandpass options, I would seriously go with a decent low end amp like Interfire. I'm not knocking the more expensive amps, I'm about to blow $800 on a semi-high end amp and I already have the expensive Mac but for a set of speakers that only need 100w or so where you will never have to worry about distortion since you will never push the amp hard, I think low end is the way to go.

The catch to amping stock speakers is you have to high pass them at 100hz or higher to avoid bottoming them if playing loud. You will be very surprised just how loud and clean they will get with some power. I bought a set of $1,500 (retail) front comp set, if there was anything to gain, I would have no problem throwing in my old ID CTX65s back there but it just wasn't worth it. I'm not sure if I mentioned it but I ran the stock rears with an amp for a couple years and they never failed. I was pretty cruel to them since I didn't care if they blew. I cranked up the volume to the max and adjusted the high pass until they started clacking and then backed off a little. I ran out of channels with the MS8 so I no longer run them.

Last edited by I hate cars; 08-07-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 PM
e92 335i

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Both my TL's were equipped sound systems and were equally awful. Absolutely no bass whatsoever. They were both mediocre with DVD audio at best. I would even go as far to say that my friend's TSX had a better sound system. My 335i Logic 7 System on the other hand is leaps and bounds ahead of the ELS system.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
i did have an aftermarket amp connected to my ELS surround sound...it was my JL audio 450/4...its great i was surprise on the difference on audio sound it produced...but i felt like if i have that amp on it..i would tear up the speakers really soon... so i ended up taking them off..

but however, i had that same amp connected on my 2nd Gen TL-S... and pushed those bose speakers hards...they were outstanding...but they didnt have the same quality as the surround sound as my ELS...the ELS i believe performs more crisp because of the tweeter and how i can adjust the surround sound with the oem Headunit..

but with my 2nd Gen it was rediculously loud but not as clean and crisp as the 3rd GEN ELS...

what i wanted to do is because my cousin have the 2nd gen bose speakers just laying in his closet...and i was wondering how would the bose speakers performed under the ELS surround sound headunit?.. and being pushed with my jl audio 450/4

^^ this is just a question out there...i might do this before i install my JL audio components C2's...and if it turns out good ill put the c2's in my parents SUV