Installed HT-Spec Version 2 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Installed HT-Spec Version 2 coilovers

As always, Marcus was very knowledgeable, professional and helpful. He pretty much did a play-by-play with me as he installed the coilovers on my car. I had blown shocks in the rear, and rather get a spring and shock combo to replace them, I opted for his HT-Spec coilovers.

The total install time for me took just over an hour. This was including time to adjust the ride height to my liking and doing a demo drive right after.

Immediately what I noticed were that the noises due to the worn out shocks went away. Marcus said that there might be a chance more noise would be transmitted into the cabin, but for my case, it was a HUGE marked improvement.

not only did the noise go away, I did also experience a night and day difference in handling, damping and tracking. the car definitely felt "glued to the road" so to speak. It felt really tight and felt like a brand new car - at least to me.

One surprise we found out was that you can set these coilovers to about stock TL height - I wish I took a shot but we had the front coilovers set at one point to be so high, you can fit more than four fingers in the gap. pretty interesting to know that it was possible.

anyways, here are the few pics during the install. i'll post cleaner pics after I get the car all detailed.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:36 PM
hmmmmmm...oh wait... nvm.

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
thinking of getting type 1 as always $$$ lol.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM
iWhine

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Really?! You were able to get them to stock height? This was my only drawback on these although i read in the HT pitboard that the final version of these coilovers would allow for a height adjustment with a closer range to stock than the minimum 1.5 inch drop everyone is currently receiving. I have been waiting on that version as well as their version of the edfc for the type 2s. Accomplishing 1 out of 2 might just motivate me to jump on a set.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Only 1 hour? damn you guys work fast lol

Glad ot hear you're happy with them.

My shocks are bad too, but I'm opting for the A-Spec suspension lol
Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by H23Accord
Really?! You were able to get them to stock height? This was my only drawback on these although i read in the HT pitboard that the final version of these coilovers would allow for a height adjustment with a closer range to stock than the minimum 1.5 inch drop everyone is currently receiving. I have been waiting on that version as well as their version of the edfc for the type 2s. Accomplishing 1 out of 2 might just motivate me to jump on a set.
pretty much.

when Marcus first installed it and we tried to see how low it was, it was high. i really wish i took a pic. it was from there that he adjusted it to my liking.

i can definitely say with certainty that you can get it very close to (if not at) stock height. I have the most recent version so this would be the one you have been waiting for.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Drifting

Front wheel gap:

Rear wheel gap:

profile shots:

The following users liked this post:
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
wow 1 hour? damn now thats fast congrats on the v2 upgrade from stock!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:03 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's the ride. Is it easy to adjust the height. Did u get a camber kit
Old 10-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by huystAr
wow 1 hour? damn now thats fast congrats on the v2 upgrade from stock!
Thanks! I had stock shocks with Megan Racing springs before. this was a HUGE improvement in ride quality, handling, and balance. well worth it.
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lakers9
How's the ride. Is it easy to adjust the height. Did u get a camber kit
Ride is firm but not jarring.

I dont plan on changing ride height.

And no, I did not get a camber kit. depending on how low you want to lower your car, you may not need it. I had mine aligned after the install and i DO NOT have any negative camber issues. so for the drop I have, I did not need it.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
What did you do to lubricate the threads and perches?
Old 10-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Drifting

I didnt do anything. Marcus did the install. I did inspect the coilovers and they seem to have a thin coat of oil on the threads and springs.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Yeah we were a bit surprised but the height that we got with the kit. I actually took a lot of notes and took some pics during the install for a document outlining the whole HT-Spec damper range, how to set adjustments, etc.

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Only 1 hour? damn you guys work fast lol

Glad ot hear you're happy with them.

My shocks are bad too, but I'm opting for the A-Spec suspension lol
Yeah I have done this job about 100 times

Originally Posted by bforbrian
What did you do to lubricate the threads and perches?
Nothing.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:47 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Marcus can you comment on the spring rates on these for the fronts and rears and contrast that with the Tein SS?

Also I kno a rumored wireless damper controller is suppose to be released for these ... any ETA?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Spring rates for these are 12/6. SS for a TL is 12/6. The damper valving is a bit different. The ride/handling is good on both kits. However the reason to get these over the SS is mainly 2-fold:

1) Upper mounts included/preinstalled
2) Much more height flexibility allowing near stock height or super mega slammed. SS are limited to about a range of 1.25 to 2.25 inches down.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:53 PM
iWhine

And what about his other question...

"Also I kno a rumored wireless damper controller is suppose to be released for these ... any ETA?"
Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Still pushing F2...it seems to be perpetually on a burner that is off. It is there, just not cooking yet. I am trying to get something going on it. But, it isn't my part to push yet.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

That's a bummer on the Wireless kit. Sounds like it would be so perfect. And when you say the dampening rates are different.. would it be fair to say that the rates on the TYPE 2's are dampened to a slightly more stiffer rate compared the SS? (Hope that makes sense)

Lot of other forums are comparing the Type 2's to the TEIN Flex and not the TEIN SS due to its height adjustability without affecting the pre-load. And if it compared to the TEIN FLEX's.. then this pricing on the TYPE 2's is a steal!

The TEIN SS you affect pre-load everytime you adjust. Not necessarily a horrilbe thing for people like me who just want a 1.5 finger gap, but it becomes an issue for those who want to slam their ride. The only drawback is making height adjustments, I'd assume its not as easy to raise or lower the car when compared the Tein SS

The more and more I read about these.. I'm starting to like these enough to want to swap out. Good job Marcus!
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 06:07 PM
iWhine

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
That's a bummer on the Wireless kit. Sounds like it would be so perfect. And when you say the dampening rates are different.. would it be fair to say that the rates on the TYPE 2's are dampened to a slightly more stiffer rate compared the SS? (Hope that makes sense)

Lot of other forums are comparing the Type 2's to the TEIN Flex and not the TEIN SS due to its height adjustability without affecting the pre-load. And if it compared to the TEIN FLEX's.. then this pricing on the TYPE 2's is a steal!

The TEIN SS you affect pre-load everytime you adjust. Not necessarily a horrilbe thing for people like me who just want a 1.5 finger gap, but it becomes an issue for those who want to slam their ride. The only drawback is making height adjustments, I'd assume its not as easy to raise or lower the car when compared the Tein SS

The more and more I read about these.. I'm starting to like these enough to want to swap out. Good job Marcus!

I had noticed you had the SS and the more I read your inquisitions, the more I figured you were considering the "upgrade".

I am in agreement though. I think this is a hot item and combined with the electronic adjustment would motivate most to move to these over the SS. I'm old and lazy and don't want to constantly get out of the car to adjust
Old 10-22-2011, 03:09 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

I had noticed you had the SS and the more I read your inquisitions, the more I figured you were considering the "upgrade".

I am in agreement though. I think this is a hot item and combined with the electronic adjustment would motivate most to move to these over the SS. I'm old and lazy and don't want to constantly get out of the car to adjust
Yup bought a new set of SS to upgrade from my old SS that I had for a few years. But thinking about selling those and getting these to try somethign different but I have the EDFC installed and that's the biggest thing that bums me out to make this transition. Only reason that I'm on the fence, really.
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

A few responses..

It makes a little sense, yes. The rates are very similar but I believe the HT-Spec V2 Type-II are dampened a little softer in general, but the adjustment range of each kit makes this a little moot. Overally, softest settings on both systems are quite comfortable, maybe slightly more-so on the HT-Spec.

They really are somewhere in between. The performance level is somewhat higher than the SS, although not as high as the FLEX. The height adjustment range is considerably more than the SS, similar to the FLEX. The ride on the HT-Spec V2s are generally better than the FLEX, and comparable to the SS.

The only issue we really found with the SS is the height range adjustment, and to a certain extent the cost. If you are looking for the most performance on the street the FLEX is the one, but again the cost is an issue and most people want a little better ride.

Keep in mind, the correct way to think of the SS/preload argument is that the SS height setting effects TRAVEL not PRELOAD. Preload is only effected on the SS's springs when raising the car. Slamming the car is not putting any pre-load on the springs but it does allow the car to bottom out more.

The height adjustment is quite simple on full-length adjustable systems. I think people make it more complicated than it needs to be...
Old 10-31-2011, 02:56 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are the springs on these the standard one or from eibachs?

MrHeelToe, I wish you lived in the east coast to help with the install. Suspension just seems like a PITA to install.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor

I've created a PDF that outlines all the details of the HTSpec V2 damper kits, including history, adjustment specs, and troubleshooting steps. Check it out here!
http://heeltoeauto.com/files/tech/HT...ment%20Doc.pdf
Old 12-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I've created a PDF that outlines all the details of the HTSpec V2 damper kits, including history, adjustment specs, and troubleshooting steps. Check it out here!
link is broken

File Not Found ...

The requested file cannot be found on the server.
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Oops:
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice!! Just got these and cant wait to install them tomorrow! Great customer service and marcus is very knowledgable about suspension systems for the TL. will give impressions after installation!
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
Car looks good I am also considering the HT Spec 1s
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:12 PM
N0w $hiftinG N/A

Originally Posted by djbonsu
Nice!! Just got these and cant wait to install them tomorrow! Great customer service and marcus is very knowledgable about suspension systems for the TL. will give impressions after installation!
post pix after bro id like to see how low u go lol.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 AM
"Like None Other"

Originally Posted by GtMaxx
post pix after bro id like to see how low u go lol.
haha...wont be going any lower than what you see below. chicago, had some roff streets and ive got many scrapes to show for it already...lol

JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

It will go lower than that. If you have spun the Lower mount brackets up all the way, increase the preload length.
JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM
"Like None Other"

i dont really have a need to go lower than that pic but.......increase the preload by how much? i thought the preload was set (out of the box) where it is to optimize ride quality and shock life?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:07 AM
N0w $hiftinG N/A

haha...wont be going any lower than what you see below. chicago, had some roff streets and ive got many scrapes to show for it already...lol

niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I cant untill I order my pair from marcus soon and this seem interesting now with adjusting the preload.
djbonsu (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Former Sponsor

i dont really have a need to go lower than that pic but.......increase the preload by how much? i thought the preload was set (out of the box) where it is to optimize ride quality and shock life?
Preload is adjustable...although yea most people will leave it as is. Read more here: http://heeltoeauto.com/files/tech/HT...ment%20Doc.pdf
Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
"Like None Other"

^^^ got it! thanks! great info!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:07 PM
"Like None Other"

Originally Posted by GtMaxx
niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I cant untill I order my pair from marcus soon and this seem interesting now with adjusting the preload.
yea, it seems adjust the prelod 1/4-1/2" will give u some adjustments in regards to firmness of the coilover but the con is u will lose some shock/suspension travel as a result of the adjustment. more than likely, ill leave mine as is, but i ever DUMP it, i now know what to do...lol
Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe

AWESOME !!! Thankyou Mr. Heeltoe.

That just changed my mind on getting TEIN SS coilovers again

Its almost a NO-BRAINER

I love the adjustability and having the top hats already installed and included !!! Simply Wonderful

Time to find the price of these, I am scared to look
Old 12-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
but the con is u will lose some shock/suspension travel as a result of the adjustment.
No travel will be lost unless the preload was cranked-up to a ridiculous amount (which I highly doubt anyone would do) to cause coil binding. Perhaps Marcus can comment on the coil bind height.

If the ride height was lowered to reduce the available travel distance before something hit (for example, tire hitting top of wheelwell), then this would reduce the available travel. However, increasing preload by itself does not subtract from the overall travel.

Available Travel with minimal preload = Available Travel with maximum preload (before coil bind)
The following 2 users liked this post by Inaccurate:
djbonsu (12-14-2011), JD TL-S (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 12:42 PM
"Like None Other"

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
No travel will be lost unless the preload was cranked-up to a ridiculous amount (which I highly doubt anyone would do) to cause coil binding. Perhaps Marcus can comment on the coil bind height.

If the ride height was lowered to reduce the available travel distance before something hit (for example, tire hitting top of wheelwell), then this would reduce the available travel. However, increasing preload by itself does not subtract from the overall travel.

Available Travel with minimal preload = Available Travel with maximum preload (before coil bind)
aahhh ok! got ya! i was thinking that initially. welp, still a plus! thanks for the info
Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

When I first went to Mr. Heeltoe's website and went to the HT spec coilovers I thought the better ones were $599 !!! I was WOW !!!

But $899 plus shipping is s good deal due to these coming with top hats, etc.

So for about $1100 I can get The H2 version with a Prog 24mm RSB. Sweet

Thanks Marcus

Merry Christmas
Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 07tlswdp
are the springs on these the standard one or from eibachs?

Mrheeltoe, i wish you lived in the east coast to help with the install. Suspension just seems like a pita to install.

+1

Quick Reply: Installed HT-Spec Version 2 coilovers