2013 TL??? What's going to make you want to buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 TL??? What's going to make you want to buy it?

Any word on what to expect in the 2013 TL ? I know it's a little early but this years 2012 TL isn't making me bite as far as making a purchase... More Horsepower, new colors, new features.. I'm sure some Acura designers/developers read these forms... perhaps even rumors of what to expect?...

Thanks team!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:00 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
I bet the 2013 TL will be more or less the same as the 2012 MMC TL which has just gone through the only chance of significant changes.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 TL will be the same as 12. 2014 Model year should be full model change.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I'd like to see them get more hp out of the 3.7 engine. This is supposed to be the performance version and it's no faster than the fwd car. Frankly, 305 hp out of 3.7 is pretty lame right now. Look at the power Infiniti and Hyundai are getting out of their 3.7 & 3.8 liter engines.

I'd also like to see them fix some of the software issues that piss me off.

> Why does the address book wait to update until I actually want to use the phone, then I have to wait 15 seconds for it to update?

> Why do I have to push the "I agree" button and go through three screens just to get back to the audio screen on the big nav screen every time I get in the car?

> Why do I have to turn the ventilated seats on every time I get in the car? Here in Houston we drive with the ventilated seats on for six months of the year.

> Why does a car with adjustable lumbar support have too much lumbar support for me even with them fully deflated?

These issues are hot buttons because I'm reminded of them every single time I drive the car.

This car is my wife's car btw. I have a Lexus GS350 on a lease. I could probably get out of the lease cleanly right now and have though seriously about getting a second TL for myself. But I can honestly say that these issues bug me enough to have serious second thoughts.
The following users liked this post:
KeithL (11-19-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
I'd like to see them get more hp out of the 3.7 engine. This is supposed to be the performance version and it's no faster than the fwd car. Frankly, 305 hp out of 3.7 is pretty lame right now. Look at the power Infiniti and Hyundai are getting out of their 3.7 & 3.8 liter engines.

I'd also like to see them fix some of the software issues that piss me off.

> Why does the address book wait to update until I actually want to use the phone, then I have to wait 15 seconds for it to update?
I never see this
> Why do I have to push the "I agree" button and go through three screens just to get back to the audio screen on the big nav screen every time I get in the car?
I AGREE it's a real PITA as if Acura would be responsible for you using the nav screen while driving.. it's CYA for them, I guess.. silly though

> Why do I have to turn the ventilated seats on every time I get in the car? Here in Houston we drive with the ventilated seats on for six months of the year. I have thought the same thing... all summer long

> Why does a car with adjustable lumbar support have too much lumbar support for me even with them fully deflated? I have no issue here

These issues are hot buttons because I'm reminded of them every single time I drive the car.

This car is my wife's car btw. I have a Lexus GS350 on a lease. I could probably get out of the lease cleanly right now and have though seriously about getting a second TL for myself. But I can honestly say that these issues bug me enough to have serious second thoughts.
I don't worry too much about the HP, it moves plenty fast for me but I know many others want it to go faster.

The "Tighten Gas Cap" and "Battery Low" issues should have been fixed by now. I got the gas cap warning again this morning. It only happens after filling up an dI don't top off... yeah, they need to fix those things.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Things I would like fixed:
- I don't mind that "CYA" screen, but yeah, let me choose my default screen or just set it to whatever I had it on last.
- Speed the whole input/screen change up; mine seems especially cranky cold morning, and it takes a few seconds for the yellow lines to show up on the backup screen
- Can I get the AWD vectoring screen on the big screen and not in the middle of the gauges? It's hard to look at that when you're accelerating through a corner
- For gods sakes, spend $20 and get black caliper covers with "Acura" on them

I test drove the requisite competitors (CTS, G35, 3, C), I don't have a problem with the HP; with the 6MT, it puts down enough power for me, and you'll be hard pressed to find a car this big that handles like the TL with sh-awd. It's not made to win a drag race, it's made to win on a technical track.

For a limited-production run, I'd want only a few minor changes:

- 19" light wheels with high-performance treads
- bigger calipers, cross-drilled, coated rotors
- slightly lowered, maybe some more camber
- maybe 25 extra horses, but I'd be more interested in lowering the torque band a hair to start around 3000 rpms instead of 3500 and smoothing it out; the first 4 gears are so close in the manual that you are shifting like a mad man over 3500 rpm with aggressive driving
Old 11-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
HP is fine, better gas mileage is always appreciated. Brakes from the RL would be nice but not necessary. Never lose the 6MT "Halo" car! Black out Trim like the SEMA car would be interesting. Keep the price down, add value not crap.

I'm not sure they read the forum, because many of Honda and Acura new offerings are not made for "car" people. The new Civic is a classic case. Nothing overly new, interior from hell, still a 5 speed! Then the TSX wagon!!! I like wagons but no manual! Sales would not be so bad if they made cars that people got excited about.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-16-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:25 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
A total make over or nothing!!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
The 4g is so much different from the 3g. I wonder if acura will do a complete makeover for the 5g / 2014?

I dont know if that would be needed, maybe just a few small changes, here and there. Hopefully the 5g wont be less aggressive, cause thats what makes the TL, imho
Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 PM
6G TLX-S

Honda has hit the technological brick wall in tuning for more hp for it's aging J-series V6 engine family. Rather than squeezing out more hp from using the same engine displacement (as for it's I4 engine family), Honda has resorted to the primitive way of adding displacement in order to generate more hp for it's V6 engines.

Now we can only wait for the next generation of V6 family to come out, which will eventually incorporate DOHC, direct injection, i-VTEC, performance-hybrid, etc., in order to retake the lead in hp/liter among today's advance V6 powerplants.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
You guys are making your wish list, I see.....
Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
You guys are making your wish list, I see.....
Let's hope that the Acura product development managers are paying serious attention to our wish list.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Let's hope that the Acura product development managers are paying serious attention to our wish list.
I would not count on it
Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I would not count on it
+1 on that. Car enthusiasts don't make up enough of the sales for them to really pay attention.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Team Owner

As active and enthusiastic as this board is, it wouldn't hurt if Acura would listen to people like us, who love their cars, when designing their new cars.....
Old 11-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

WHen I was buying my car, I mentioned this site to the mangement at the dealership. I asked if they pay any attention to when enthusiasts have to say and was told, not really. We make up a small niche in the market. We have all mentioned that we usually see older peopel and women driving Acuras. The VAST majority of Acura owners do not visit sites such as this one nor seem to really care about the community of Acura.

I try to make eye contact/wave/etc to other TL owners.. very few ever acknowledge me. I was driving next to a black '12 this morning, the woman driver never looked over.
under9hell (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Several years ago it seemed that Honda/Acura were very seriously interested in tuning in to what people wanted. Not long after we had bought our 2000 TL, I was invited to at least 2 in-depth focus-group type events that were hosted by Acura. One of these was mainly appearance oriented and was held at an event center in Santa Monica. The appearance portion of the assessment included an area with about half a dozen cars that were in the TL class (or the class that TL was trying to be in). As I recall the cars included a Lexus IS, Audi A4, BMW 5-series, a couple of others that I can't recall (maybe Volvo was on of those) and then a mock-up of a proposed TL design that, in retrospect, turned out the be the 3rd-Generation model (it looked quite dramatic at the time which was circa 2002). We carried around some digital tablet gizmo where we were asked to judge a variety of exterior and interior features.

The second event I went to (that was shortly after the first one) was held in the huge parking lot at Hollywood Park and was a driving comparison between various vehicles. There was an Audi A4, BMW 5 Series, Mercedes C-class, Volvo (I think), and the recently introduced TL-S. They had us drive each vehicle through a small road track that they had set up (to assess handling) as well as a straightaway (to assess acceleration and braking). After each run we were asked to evaluate various features of the car on a point scale. After this driving event we had a small discussion group where the Acura folks were trying to home in on features for their next car such as horsepower (as I recall 280hp was the level they were pushing), road feel, exhaust tone, etc.

So at least at that time (2002) Acura seemed pretty interested about what it would take to attract drivers that appreciated European-type sport sedans.

Maybe Acura now feels that that they have the market share they were looking for and are where they want to be?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Team Owner

Guys, I can tell you that, here in Kansas City, we caught the eye of Acura with our Acurazine National Meet. They were aware of it, wanted to see how the meet worked and observe what was done to Acura's that attended the meet.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Rumor is that some Honda/Acura folks do hang out on boards like this. I guess you never know who is behind a screen name and/or avatar.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
I try to make eye contact/wave/etc to other TL owners.. very few ever acknowledge me. I was driving next to a black '12 this morning, the woman driver never looked over.
You make me laugh there, I will definitely wave back

From my experience I see BMW is more aggressive in marketing, creating a bond between their customers and the cars. I always get news in mail/email from events hosted by local BMW dealers. My sale man send out monthly newsletter with coupons, special deals. Just last week he sent me a free wrist band "Don't text & drive". It's really nothing much but kinda make you think that they really care.

Since I got the TL I have never received an email/mail from dealer or Acura corp -_- I still haven't received any call/letter to evaluate my purchase experience...
Old 11-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I am waiting for 2014 for a new design. Acura does not have many chances left. The RL and ZDX have been a total disasters. The 4G TL a disappointment. The only winner is the MDX.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JAB00
I am waiting for 2014 for a new design. Acura does not have many chances left. The RL and ZDX have been a total disasters. The 4G TL a disappointment. The only winner is the MDX.
Please explain "not many chances left" and "total disaster". The RL is sort of lost in identity but a disaster? The ZDX... it's aonother one looking for an identity.

The TSX, RDX, MDX and TL are selling fairly well, hardly down to their last chances, IMO.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
The 4G TL a disappointment.
IMO, the 2012 4GL TL MMC is a very strong accomplishment ... new styling, new aerodynamics and accompanying fuel economy, blind spot system, ventilated seats, quieter ride, a very nice six speed transmission, etc.

Exactly what would you purchase that achieves over 30mpg highway, has Acura reliability and safety, with all the features AND the sportiness of the 2012 TL Advance for $38k?
gibbyisgibby (12-06-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by under9hell
You make me laugh there, I will definitely wave back

From my experience I see BMW is more aggressive in marketing, creating a bond between their customers and the cars. I always get news in mail/email from events hosted by local BMW dealers. My sale man send out monthly newsletter with coupons, special deals. Just last week he sent me a free wrist band "Don't text & drive". It's really nothing much but kinda make you think that they really care.

Since I got the TL I have never received an email/mail from dealer or Acura corp -_- I still haven't received any call/letter to evaluate my purchase experience...
Where did you buy your car? Was it Sterling McCall?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Where did you buy your car? Was it Sterling McCall?
at John Eagle. Sterling McCall had the car but wouldn't want to negotiate. John Eagle offered me better price and extra stuffs, they ended up trading the car at Sterling McCall for me.

On the same week I took my girlfriend to Sterling McCall Lexus to shop for the RX350. The experience was awesome. Everyone was extremely friendly to us, even the finance guy. He had no problem when we didn't buy any extra stuff for the car, asked us if there was anything unsatisfactory about the purchase... I wish the Acura dealers would do the same.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Sterling McCall has been great to me.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
There's one board member that I know of would buy it solely if it had "steering wheel warmers" if you can believe that!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
There's another I know of who's getting his license revoked and won't be able to drive at all....
Old 11-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
LMFAO, Honda/Acura is conservative and secret...it will come when it comes.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by lji
There's another I know of who's getting his license revoked and won't be able to drive at all....
yeah thats fine, but at least im not going to request steering wheel warmers. your comparing apples to oranges here.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Eazy,

id take complaining over steering wheel warmers over losing my license anyway, can anyone agree?
lji (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Pro

he drives a 6 speed manual in texas and wants warmers?

and let me iterate this is a MALE requesting this. i dunno, just think its funny. and lets just say he did want this, i definitely wouldnt post that on a message board. agreed?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Nothing...Acura service after the sale bites and I'm done with them...Going lexus next time out
Old 11-18-2011, 09:30 PM
lji
Pro

Originally Posted by potmilkz
Eazy,

id take complaining over steering wheel warmers over losing my license anyway, can anyone agree?
I agree potzmilk... atleast we still exercise our privilege of driving and enjoying the drive... lol...
Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 PM
lji
Pro

Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
Nothing...Acura service after the sale bites and I'm done with them...Going lexus next time out
I think you'll like the Lexus dealership experience if you decide to go that route... but, can't say the same for the quality of their cars built nowadays.... they used to be bulletproof, but quality has been down for a few years (speaking from past experiences).

Acura provides a solidly built vehicle although the after sale experience can't be compared to a Lexus dealership. I had a friend who bought used Honda from a Lexus dealership and they continued to send letters for a couple of years thanking him for buying the vehicle from them and how the car was treating them. So good customer service even after the sale.

But, less trips to the dealership for service means lower cost of ownership and I think Acura hits that mark.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I still get personalized emails from the Lexus dealership I went to before buying the TL. I was considering the TL and IS350 and chose the TL because I liked the larger size and figured it would serve me better in the years to come, and of course, the price was more attractive (and financing). However, I am still waiting on a call or a letter from either the dealership or Acura about my purchase. Its been 3 months and I thought I would at least get that "how were you treated when you bought the car?" letter.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with the dealership and am happy with my purchase. However, if I'm getting thank you letters from Lexus just because I came in to test drive a car (even got a letter to let me know that they will be happy to service my vehicle if I need a good service shop), then what is it like to buy a car from them? I honestly think that if my financial situation improves, I will step up to a GS one day. Service matters a lot, and Lexus has great service.
With that said, I still love Honda/Acura and if the next version of the TL is anything I hope it will be, Lexus or any other brand will have a hard time earning my business.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I guess dealers are quite different even within a brand. I got personalized emails from the GM of Acura dealer both during the purchase process and after. Also got the evaluation email within a week or two after I bought it. And then got a personal letter from the salesperson this week around 1 month mark. Also got a follow-up postcard from the service department after they worked on a couple minor things.

Infinit dealers were also quite good and comparable. Seemed very eager to please and several follow-up calls etc. Lexus, on the other hand, the salesman told me he cudnt take us on any more test drives after we did 3 until I made a decision to buy. Both Acura and Infiniti were always welcoming beyond that too. Never went back to them - put off by both the car and the dealer.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got to say my experiance with Brookfield Acura has been great. I get regular personalized emails whenever they are having deals on service or accessories. Recieved a post card from the sales person I bought the car from on my birthday and after one year of ownership. I have gotten 2 questionnaires on the car (I thought they were form JD Power.) Always got good service and loaner if they were going to be more than 1.5 hours with service (only once). Even got same day service and no charge when I broke my tire air pressure (TMPS) device and was leaving for vacation the next morning. Called at 3 in the afternoon and they got me right in and got me out by 4:30. I have never been treated as well at any dealer.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Acura was the first "kid on the block" in terms of Asian brands that wanted to compete with Euro/luxury models and they faltered badly. Toyota/Lexus wrote the book on how to do so. Our close friends bought an ES in 1992 and from day one they were particularly pleased with the post-sale experience. The dealerships were upscale when bringing the car in for servicing (nice showroom/waiting area/coffee/donuts, etc. and the service folks bent over backwards to treat you like you just bought a high end Mercedes. Lexus even voluntarily changed out their tires because the manufacturer did not feel that they gave the right ride. Consequently, they have gone on to replace each ES with another (1999, 2005) and still rave about the treatment they get when servicing the cars.

Acura started out by trying to make their dealerships upscale compared with other Asian types at the time but then just seemed to stop. Even worse was their lack of commitment to maintain their model lines. Lexus has been very good at following the BMW example--there will always be 3 series, 5 series, 7 series and Lexus has IS, ES, GS, LS and has maintained these models since their introduction. Acura had Legend (gone), Integra (gone), Vigor (gone), RX (gone), CL (gone) but thankfully has kept TL and RL going for a few years now.

The most successful spurt in marketing and execution came in 1999 with the introduction of the 2nd-gen TL offering a car with the luxury and features of the Lexus ES and other higher-end Asian models at a lower cost. Also, at the time it was tops in its class in terms of horsepower (225hp versus sub-200hp for Lexux, Maxima, Infiniti, etc.).

The current TL is a great car compared with the competition but not as obviously so as back in 2000. Especially since the Korean cars have exploded on the scene with great specs, semi-unique styling, and very good value. Time for Acura to step up with something more dramatic.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Shortly after buying my car, I received a thank you letter from the dealer. They send me, via email, maintenance reminders regularly. Acura sent a product evaluation within a few weeks of getting my 2011. Just the other day I received a "Happy Anniversary" card from Acura marking one year since my purchase. The same day, I received a letter from my salesman thanking me for my business. All these things are nice. But really, do they make any difference? All I want is a reliable car. If it breaks, I want it fixed by people who know what they are doing and fix it correctly the first time. Crystal chandeliers, donuts, fresh coffee, a hand written letter mean nothing to me if the car sucks or if trouble arises, it can't be fixed quickly and correctly. People make the dealership, not imported carpeting.
Stew4HD (11-21-2011)

Quick Reply: 2013 TL??? What's going to make you want to buy it?