Is this a symptom of a Starter going bad, or a Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Is this a symptom of a Starter going bad, or a Battery?

I've been having trouble starting my car lately. My car is a 08 with the original Acura battery. Bought it used in Jan 2011. It has the one-key start feature meaning that you can flick the key to the ON position and quickly let go and the car will continue to crank on it's own until the car finally starts.

TESTED..

Before anyone says to go get it tested, I just got back from getting it tested. I went to O'reilly auto and had them test my battery starter and alternator. He measured the battery and said it was 13v even. He told me that it's very odd that it's so high, and usually when it's that high it means that the battery is bad so he told me to crank the car to test the starter. I cranked the car and it started just fine and he pressed the buttons on his tool and told me that my starter and alternator is just fine... I got a multimeter and I even tested the battery myself last night and it read 12.85v which doesn't seem right at all...

SYMPTOM

Well lately (past 2 weeks) when I would try to quickly flick it from the OFF to the ON position the car won't start. The gauge lights turn on for a split second because I pass over the accessory mode, but quickly completely dies out. My clock above my navi also blacks out. I would have to turn it back to the off position and crank it to the ON position again, but this time I would have to hold it for about 1-2 seconds like usual and about 70% of the time it will start right up.

During the 30% of the time that it doesn't start, it doesn't make any noise at all. No "Click" or anything. Just complete silent. When I do manage to get the car started after it deciding to not start the 1st time, I notice my clock temporarily resets to "1:00" and about 5-10 seconds after the car is on it changes to the correct time. Also, my navigation screen turns on but will immediately ask me for my "NAVI" code. It doesn't ask for my radio code, only navi.

EXAMPLES..

1 A few days ago I was coming out of a gas station getting into my car to start it. I slowly turned the key to the on position and noticed my gauge clusters died out. I still tried to crank the car and it wouldn't crank. I pressed the dome light buttons on the interior to see if they would come on and they wouldn't. As soon as I opened my drivers door, my LED on the door and gauge cluster lit up just fine. I went to check the battery terminals for corrosion and connection and everything is A+. No corrosion no loose cables nothing at all. Started the car and it cranked up just fine, but this time I noticed that it reset my ECU... This time it asked for both my NAVI and RADIO code. That was the first time that it's reset to the point that it had to ask me for my radio code, usually it only asks for my navi code.

2 Also, when I would get to class early I would turn my car off and listen to the radio for less than 5 minutes. While listening to the radio with the key on the 1st position (just so the radio is on) out of no where my clock display would turn off and the radio and everything would die out. I than again tested my dome lights and they still wouldn't turn on.. 5-10 seconds later everything would come back on like normal.

3 Today when I got out of class I tried to crank the car and it wouldn't start. Did it a second time and it didn't start. Tried once more and it started just fine, but this time it also asked for my radio and navi codes once again....

The car has been asking me for my navi code about every other start-up. Sometimes even when the car starts up on the first time I try, it would still ask for a navi code (no radio code).

Anyone know what's going on?

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 12-16-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
sounds like a battery issue. usually if the battery is swapped out the car asks for the navi and radio codes. those were the only times my car has asked for the codes except one time i was at the dealer and it asked for a code after i had new tires installed (my SA had no idea why it did that, and i asked if anyone had been messing around with my battery and noone had, he thought is was strange though).

it almost sounds like there is a short somewhere. however if your battery keeps crapping on you enough to not be able to start the car...i'd just go swap the battery (aftermarket) and see if that does the trick. i've read of guys that would listen to their radios for 10-20 min....car hard started or didnt' start. also if the lights flickered or the electrical was doing crazy stuff, and a no start resulted in the battery.

how old is the current battery you have in the car? is it OEM?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
sounds like a battery issue. usually if the battery is swapped out the car asks for the navi and radio codes. those were the only times my car has asked for the codes except one time i was at the dealer and it asked for a code after i had new tires installed (my SA had no idea why it did that, and i asked if anyone had been messing around with my battery and noone had, he thought is was strange though).

it almost sounds like there is a short somewhere. however if your battery keeps crapping on you enough to not be able to start the car...i'd just go swap the battery (aftermarket) and see if that does the trick. i've read of guys that would listen to their radios for 10-20 min....car hard started or didnt' start. also if the lights flickered or the electrical was doing crazy stuff, and a no start resulted in the battery.

how old is the current battery you have in the car? is it OEM?
Thanks for the quick reply. It's a 08 and has the original Acura battery in it. I bought the car used in 2011 and it's been fine since Jan 2011 until recently (Dec 2011).

I'm assuming the Acura battery is the same one that's been in it since it rolled off the dealership.

I never listen to my radio with the car off more than 10 minutes at a time. The problem that occurs with the radio and clock display turning off would happen with me listening to the radio in less than 5 minutes with the car off. I'm sure that's irrelevant though.

I really hope it's not a short (but part of me believes it might actually be a short) because that can really be a pain in the ass to find.... Thanks for helpin !
Old 12-16-2011, 06:30 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

if you have an OEM battery...its about that time in its life it goes a little crazy with your car. mine never did this, but my dash lights and domes would flicker with a hard start or longer time to turnover to start.

happened with the 1st one after 3 yrs. happened most recently with my 2nd one at 3 yrs and a few months...now i'm on battery 3 for my car (i decided to go aftermarket). granted i don't have any mods to my audio or anything else hacked into my electrical. some people have really good luck with OEM batteries (rated to 100 mos if you can believe that) which last 5-6 yrs. most the OEM batteries seems last 3-4 yrs...some have had them last a whole whopping 6 months.

if your battery is the originally one from 08...it maybe about due.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
if you have an OEM battery...its about that time in its life it goes a little crazy with your car. mine never did this, but my dash lights and domes would flicker with a hard start or longer time to turnover to start.

happened with the 1st one after 3 yrs. happened most recently with my 2nd one at 3 yrs and a few months...now i'm on battery 3 for my car (i decided to go aftermarket). granted i don't have any mods to my audio or anything else hacked into my electrical. some people have really good luck with OEM batteries (rated to 100 mos if you can believe that) which last 5-6 yrs. most the OEM batteries seems last 3-4 yrs...some have had them last a whole whopping 6 months.

if your battery is the originally one from 08...it maybe about due.
Your words are reassuring, and I really hope this is the case! I'll find out of it's a new battery that is needed soon...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's time for you to get a new battery. To be safe, especially in northern climates, replace it every 4 years. You're in Texas so yours will last longer. My kid was playing in my car a couple weekends ago turning lights on and off and the battery was dead after only 1/2 an hour. I swapped it out for $90 with a 725 cold cranking amps battery from Advance Auto before I left it at the airport for a few days, just to be safe. I'm now on my 3rd battery for my 06 TL.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Check the battery post clamps and cables-- I'll bet at least one is loose and/or corroded.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Check the battery post clamps and cables-- I'll bet at least one is loose and/or corroded.
Thanks for the help, but already one step ahead of ya

A few days ago I was coming out of a gas station getting into my car to start it. I slowly turned the key to the on position and noticed my gauge clusters died out. I still tried to crank the car and it wouldn't crank. I pressed the dome light buttons on the interior to see if they would come on and they wouldn't. As soon as I opened my drivers door, my LED on the door and gauge cluster lit up just fine. I went to check the battery terminals for corrosion and connection and everything is A+. No corrosion no loose cables nothing at all. Started the car and it cranked up just fine, but this time I noticed that it reset my ECU... This time it asked for both my NAVI and RADIO code. That was the first time that it's reset to the point that it had to ask me for my radio code, usually it only asks for my navi code.

I have this Super Start battery sitting in my garage that was pulled out from my previous vehicle... I used it in my previous vehicle for no more than 1 month before it was wrecked so it's been sitting in the garage since. I'm going to put it in and see if the battery is the culprit

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0423&ppt=C0005
Old 02-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
The car has been asking me for my navi code about every other start-up. Sometimes even when the car starts up on the first time I try, it would still ask for a navi code (no radio code).
Any luck with a solution? My '08 TL-S just started doing this.

FYI - It's already on its second battery and I just installed a new starter.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^i believe OP popped in the battery he had laying around...and it fixed it.

how old is your 2nd battery?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Negative battery connection was loose.

Problem solved.

Thanks.