Pairing iPhone 5 to 3G TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pairing iPhone 5 to 3G TL

Anyone else having trouble pairing their iPhone5 to their 3G TL?????

I had no problem with my iphone 3G and 4 but my 5 doesn't see the hands free link at all.

I emailed http://www.acura.com/handsfreelink.aspx, waiting for a response. So frustrating!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Hmm, I don't have the iPhone5 yet, but was thinking of upgrading to it eventually. I'm interested to see what you find out and if you get it to work.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
no prob here
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I get mine today. Hope it works....
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had an initial issue with spotty connections. I was able to pair with no issue, but then the phone would not always connect when I got in the car. I deleted all previous pairings and re-paired and since I needed to update it anyway, transferred my phone book. No issues with transfer and no issues with phone connecting to car since.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No issues with pairing my 5 either. Make sure when the car is searching for devices that you go into your bluetooth settings on the phone and click where it says "not connected." Then you'll get the option to input the four digit passcode.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:15 PM
10th Gear

Fixed! I just had to say 1234 to the HFL and it showed up on my phone.

I don't remember having to do that with my iPhone4 but whatever. It works now, so happy.

Hope this helps anyone else who has the same problem.

How did you transfer your phonebook?

Originally Posted by Blooze
I had an initial issue with spotty connections. I was able to pair with no issue, but then the phone would not always connect when I got in the car. I deleted all previous pairings and re-paired and since I needed to update it anyway, transferred my phone book. No issues with transfer and no issues with phone connecting to car since.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-01-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Instructor

I couldn't remember the steps, so here it is from the manual ... BTW - The "transfer part" from your phone won't take that long, but the loading may. I copied over 600+ entries and while the transfer was quick, the car showed the "loading" screen of the phone book for a good 5 minutes. So don't get impatient if it goes to the loading screen, it should be working fine.

Anyway, here is what the manual has to say ...

Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I look forward to pairing my new iPhone 5-if it will ever get here.....
Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 PM
10th Gear

My 06 doesn't allow me to import a phonebook. :-(
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyOV
My 06 doesn't allow me to import a phonebook. :-(
Ya i was going to say, "wow that's an awesome feature and i can't believe i haven't done that already!" but ya guess it doesn't work for us 04-06's...
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Instructor

UGH! Sorry, I have an '08 and didn't even think about this not being available in the '04-'06. I would trade the phonebook for the hacks that can be performed on the '04-'06 navi's though!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else having trouble pairing their iPhone5 to their 3G TL?????

I had no problem with my iphone 3G and 4 but my 5 doesn't see the hands free link at all.

I emailed http://www.acura.com/handsfreelink.aspx, waiting for a response. So frustrating!
I just paired mine today and all went well. I have a 2005 TL.

Switching the subject slightly, is it possible to stream audio from the iPhone 5 to a 2005 TL via Bluetooth? Probably the '05 model is too old to make that a happen?

-Paul
Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Attorney

Switching the subject slightly, is it possible to stream audio from the iPhone 5 to a 2005 TL via Bluetooth? Probably the '05 model is too old to make that a happen?

-Paul
Yes but you will need a device like an isimple that will give you an AUX input. Then hook up a Bluetooth device like a Belkin to that. There are a lot of threads on it.

I'm in the process of figuring out which components I want to buy to do this myself.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2007 TL and have tried several times to sync my new iPhone 5 with my HFL with no luck. Not sure what I am doing wrong, follow instructions impectably. had no trouble syncing my Droid when i fist got it?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 PM
2nd Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Attorney

-Paul
Hi when i push button with phone voice set system is lock put four code number any idea i try so many codes help please
Old 10-19-2012, 05:02 PM
2nd Gear

Hi i try pair myphone with car i push button and voice set system is lock putfour code number any idea i neeeed help please
Old 10-20-2012, 08:43 AM
6SPEED FEVER

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
My iPhone 5 hooked up fine to my 08 tls......phone setup>pair>make sure Bluetooth is on in the iPhone>set a code>type it in the iPhone 5>and done

The first 5minutes after pairing it did not work,I keep pressing handsfreelink on the iPhone until it connected and never had any issues after that.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Team Owner

I'm just re-reading this thread and it prompted a question.

I got a new 16 gig iPhone 5. I just switched over to iTunes Match. This is where your music is not stored on your device-it's streamed to your phone.

I'm guessing that my music will still play in the car through my iPhone while it's plugged in to the Auxiliary Jack.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I'm just re-reading this thread and it prompted a question.

I got a new 16 gig iPhone 5. I just switched over to iTunes Match. This is where your music is not stored on your device-it's streamed to your phone.

I'm guessing that my music will still play in the car through my iPhone while it's plugged in to the Auxiliary Jack.
Yes it will. Google Play is the same "cloud" typ service. All my music is there so i can play my music anywhere and on any device from my computor>tablet>Android phone. It's a great service. Honda is offering a cloud music service thats rolling out on the new 13' Accord Touring. I'm sure the RL is the first Acura to get this service. The next generation of cars like Audi's current S5 will have 3g/4g service on their audio systems and even works as a mobile hot spot so passengers can use their laptops while in transit. Man is it a great generation to be in this earth haha.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

Agreed Desmond. The Audi's have me salivating with their technology.

Thanks for answering my question too.

By the way, the iTunes Match costs $25/year. What is the cost of the Google service and have you heard what the Honda Service will cost, if any?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was able to paired my iphone 5 to my 06 TL but whenever I tried to pick up an incoming call in the car, the call doesn't get routed into my car's speaker. When making outgoing call, everything is normal.

Anyone else getting this?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Agreed Desmond. The Audi's have me salivating with their technology.

Thanks for answering my question too.

By the way, the iTunes Match costs $25/year. What is the cost of the Google service and have you heard what the Honda Service will cost, if any?
Google play is FREE!!! Apple knows how to make money. Apple iPad/iPhone users will pay for anything...lol.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 PM
10th Gear

i did not have an issue pairing the iphone 5 with my 05 TL. EATSLEEPRACE has it correct in that "phone setup>pair>make sure Bluetooth is on in the iPhone>set a code>type it in the iPhone 5>and done" is all it took.

In terms of using the bluetooth to stream the music, that's not possible in the 2005 TL. Not sure about the 08 though. For whatever is worth though, i was able to get it done using a Dice kit (sold by autotoys.com)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't have a problem but I do notice that it doesn't appear to connect immediately (in the information strip) when getting in the car compared to my 4; works though.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badboylu23
In terms of using the bluetooth to stream the music, that's not possible in the 2005 TL. Not sure about the 08 though. For whatever is worth though, i was able to get it done using a Dice kit (sold by autotoys.com)
I solved the streaming problem over the weekend by trading in my '05 TL for a '12 TL. Streaming from Pandora on the iPhone5 has way better audio quality than XM.

BTW, in the eight years of subscribing to XM, programming quality has taken a huge hit and now, more than ever, XM is sounds like a montage of commercial radio stations with emphasis on rap and heavy metal. Is that their customer base today?

I'm done with XM and will now use with Pandora and maybe Apple's new streaming service.

Paul
Old 10-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Mine worked great, did it yesterday.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tonester
I was able to paired my iphone 5 to my 06 TL but whenever I tried to pick up an incoming call in the car, the call doesn't get routed into my car's speaker. When making outgoing call, everything is normal.

I have the exact opposite issue. If I dial from my phone the call will route to my phone even though the default says 'handsfree' in my phone display.

For those of you having trouble syncing your new phone, remember you must sync a 'new' phone with your HFL system. The old phone (book, contact, settings, etc.) are still stored. The system store's up to 5 phones (I think). So remember to go thru the steps of syncing it as new phone and not the phone you previously had. Two different things. My 3gs is still stored and had to create new phone for my 5.

Question... has anyone figured out if the 04-06's can use the bluetooth option that displays when siri is activated? It will lock my HFL and give me that message only one device can be used at a time. I was hoping I could activate siri from the steering wheel, but I guess I need 2 upgrade to a TL w. the tech package....

Last edited by 04desertmist; 11-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced

Yes but you will need a device like an isimple that will give you an AUX input. Then hook up a Bluetooth device like a Belkin to that. There are a lot of threads on it.

I'm in the process of figuring out which components I want to buy to do this myself.
If you install isimple it comes with an input jack for you to plug in your device & control the phone directly from car (wheel/radio). Why would you need bluetooth? Switch isimple to AUX and stream.

My isimple switches from my XM->ipod->AUX. I listen to satellite->ipod->stream from whatever (pandora, iheart, youtube) SIMPLE as turning a knob.

I'm just salty at the fact I have to by an adapter to plug in the iphone 5 now.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 AM
4th Gear

I have an 04 TL and I cannot get my iPhone 5 to pair. I go through the pairing process up to the point where I say a 4 digit number to pair with, and the phone sees the handsfree link but will not pair. Then the strangest thing is the car's system hangs. The panel shows "Pair" and the 4 digit number and that will not go away. The talk button does not work at that point, and even when I turn the car off, that info shows in the panel. Neither the radio or cd player will work. I have to disconnect the battery to make the panel info go away, then the radio will work normally after entering the code. I have tried it twice now and the same thing happens. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
I've had absolutely no problems, though here's a trick that works sometimes for those of you with problems: try turning your iPhone's WiFi signal off, reboot the phone and make sure the WiFi is still off when it comes back up. Now try and pair the phone.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:53 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
2006 TL - no problems, strong signal, and never lost the connection once.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tonester

I have a 05 TL with similar behavior. I paired my iPhone 5 successfully and calling out works perfectly. However, I'd say about 2/3's of the time when I receive an incoming call, it appears to transfer to the car's bluetooth momentarily and then drops the call from the car's bluetooth leaving it active only on the phone. The other 1/3 of the time, it works as expected. I previously had an iPhone 1 and an iPhone 3GS, both which worked perfectly with this car. If anyone has other experiences with this problem and perhaps knows a fix, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm coming from an Android phone previously so I may just not understand how this is supposed to work, but when my iPhone 5 is connected to the HFL through bluetooth and I activate Siri, there is a little bluetooth icon next to the microphone symbol that normally comes up and it's lit up. When this happens, I don't hear Siri's voice come through the phone or my car's speakers, and it doesn't pick up my commands either. I have to tap that bluetooth symbol to turn it off I guess before Siri will pick me up through the phone.

Is this normal? Does Siri not work with our cars (or at least the 2005 model)?
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Instructor

I have a 2004 TL with the Handsfree Link, the module in the TL was replaced in 2008 because of a bug that caused it to lockup the whole car and drain the battery. The new one worked great with my palm treo.

I have an Iphone 5 and it paired and I can switch the calls over when I dial on the phone, but when I receive a call and it says "You have an incoming call" I hit the answer button and it connects for a second, then disconnects and now the call audio is in limbo, not on the Iphone5 and not on the TL, but call sill in progress. Other than that it connects automatically and generally works better than it did on the Android phone I had before.

Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM
10th Gear

No problem here. Follow same steps as you did for the iPhone 4.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ppoggio
I have a 05 TL with similar behavior. I paired my iPhone 5 successfully and calling out works perfectly. However, I'd say about 2/3's of the time when I receive an incoming call, it appears to transfer to the car's bluetooth momentarily and then drops the call from the car's bluetooth leaving it active only on the phone. The other 1/3 of the time, it works as expected. I previously had an iPhone 1 and an iPhone 3GS, both which worked perfectly with this car. If anyone has other experiences with this problem and perhaps knows a fix, I'd love to hear about it.
I have the exact same problem, 2005 TL, iPhone 5, pairs fine and I can call out no problem. Any incoming call will connect initially when I hit steering wheel button but immediately drop out of audio in car but the phone call is still connected. If I go to the iPhone and 'switch audio' I can reconnect to the car audio but every attempt to have iPhone pick up the audio from the start fails. Would love to get a solution to this. I have deleted phone and paired again, same deal. . ..did anyone find a solution that works for this yet?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by muns
I have the exact same problem, 2005 TL, iPhone 5, pairs fine and I can call out no problem. Any incoming call will connect initially when I hit steering wheel button but immediately drop out of audio in car but the phone call is still connected. If I go to the iPhone and 'switch audio' I can reconnect to the car audio but every attempt to have iPhone pick up the audio from the start fails. Would love to get a solution to this. I have deleted phone and paired again, same deal. . ..did anyone find a solution that works for this yet?
I have the same problem as well. Not sure how to fix it. The TL's hand free bluetooth system has always been buggy for me. So I'm not really surprised..
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 PM
10th Gear

In regards to the iPhone 5, does anyone know if it's possible to use SIRI through the Voice Commands in my 05 TL? For instance, is it possible to say, "Send a text to....(and then a number)" using the voice commands on the steering wheel? Just curious, thanks.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by ArthurL
I have the same problem as well. Not sure how to fix it. The TL's hand free bluetooth system has always been buggy for me. So I'm not really surprised..
Add me to the list too. Every other phone as worked fine except for the 5.

Quick Reply: Pairing iPhone 5 to 3G TL