DIY: Installed a digital dash cam onto the car, aka DVR

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
DIY: Installed a digital dash cam onto the car, aka DVR

so there were a couple times i wish i had video surveillance in my car to capture what happens during my 30 mile commute to work, and there have been times where i've ALMOST gotten into accidents from swerving cars, people that don't check their blind spots, slamming on brakes for no reason, etc...

i came across this website from a guy on another forum, he bought from this place and had a good experience, so i decided to try it too, i ordered it from DVRyourCAR.com and got the 720p HD camera with 32gb memory card, it was like $145 shipped and took 3 days to get here, pretty fast

first impression, the size was compact, about the size of a radar detector, i've seen similar models before for $30-40 bucks, and my friends have tried it, but the quality was bad, the video skipped every so often, the footage would randomly erase, etc..

this one is a better quality one, the things i liked about it:
-high def 720p
-motion sensor (if someone backs into your car or walks around your car, it'll turn on and start recording)
-has an internal battery good for about an hour's worth of footage
-re-writes over the OLDEST footage so you don't have to manually clear the memory card
-infrared sensors at night so it's pretty clear, even at night
-120* lens so it captures EVERYTHING in front of you
-even with the screen closed, it will still record, plus the screen swivels all the way around
-at 720p resolution and 30fps, the video and audio is SUPER clear, and on a 32gb card, it will record about 10 hours of footage

i put it in the center of the car, as high as i could without hitting the mirror, and adjusted everything to my likings, then i ran the wires up into the headliner, over to the passenger side, down the a-pillar, behind the glove box (this was a good opportunity to change the cabin air filter too, mine was 20k overdue), down the center console and into the armrest

i didn't want to drill a hole, so i popped out the armrest light (which i NEVER noticed before lol) and fed the wire through there, and plugged the cigarette lighter plug into there, this charges + powers the camera while driving, and when fully charged, it would still have power to turn on with motion detector to keep recording

i think EVERY car should have this on the road, just in case if you get into an accident and instead of "he say, she say", you have video proof to help you, either at the time of accident or in court

when i go to asia, almost every car i've ridden in has one of these devices, i'm not sure why USA hasn't caught on, but in japan, korea, hong kong, and china, it's in 90% of the cars

i needed just a couple trim tools, a philips head screw driver (i used an impact gun), and a metal clothes hanger with some tape or another method of feeding the wire through

Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Advanced

and this was the video that made me decide to buy one of these units

The following users liked this post:
Thunderrr (03-22-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
looks good, can we see some recorded video in day/night time?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
Pretty cool, and the price is less than a GoPro so you could also use it if you're into filming races etc.

Also on a side note I hope it doesn't catch on here, from a privacy stand point.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
sub'd for videos
TmaX (03-14-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Advanced

here's a video from their youtube account, with the motion detector feature

from what i was explained, with the unit on after the car is parked, it runs off the internal battery for about 2 hours, for those 2 hours, the camera "see's" whats going on, but doesn't record anything unless there's movement close enough to your vehicle

this was exactly what i bought it for because i live in the city where people don't know how to park, and unfortunately, street parking is all we have =(

imagine if someone backed their MPV up into our cars, potentially causing hundreds of dollars of damage we're stuck with, i'm sure we could use this as evidence for our insurance companies to claim a "hit n run" and since the license plate is clearly visible, it's a $150 very well spent

be sure to watch it in 720p for to see the quality

Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Advanced

here's a night time video also from them, i haven't uploaded anything from mine yet, no worthy footage (thank god)

Old 03-06-2013, 01:32 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
nice!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sub'd I like this very much, I wish there was a full 360 for the car also as like security, my car got keyed last year and I feel like I know who did it but I have no evidence. This would be perfect.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vietkid_2006
Sub'd I like this very much, I wish there was a full 360 for the car also as like security, my car got keyed last year and I feel like I know who did it but I have no evidence. This would be perfect.
i'm actually thinking of purchasing another unit to attach to the upper rear windshield facing backwards to catch bumper tappers and people that tailgate
Old 03-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jjdrivesajazz
i'm actually thinking of purchasing another unit to attach to the upper rear windshield facing backwards to catch bumper tappers and people that tailgate
I checked the website and they have them on sale for 90 dollars plus shipping.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM

damn, now thats not bad at all
Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 AM
Advanced

I checked the website and they have them on sale for 90 dollars plus shipping.
i ordered the kit with 32gb memory card, came out to $144 and some change i think after shipping
NBP04TL4ME (09-15-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Cruisin'

i ordered the kit with 32gb memory card, came out to $144 and some change i think after shipping
I'm waiting for money to clear paypal to buy it, but I'm not going to get the card since I'm sure I can find a better price out there online for one.

So really do you know how long the battery last when power is cut? Have you gotten any good footage yet?

I'm going to hardwire mine into the dome lights of my car so it'll be a little more clean and convient.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good, but wouldn't this be an incentive for a dolt to break into your car to steal it?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Advanced

I'm waiting for money to clear paypal to buy it, but I'm not going to get the card since I'm sure I can find a better price out there online for one.

So really do you know how long the battery last when power is cut? Have you gotten any good footage yet?

I'm going to hardwire mine into the dome lights of my car so it'll be a little more clean and convient.
with the internal battery fully charged, i've gotten about 100 minutes of footage during the day and 70 minutes of footage during the night, the infrared light consumes more power i assume
Old 03-15-2013, 01:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoeChege
Looks good, but wouldn't this be an incentive for a dolt to break into your car to steal it?
it's similar size to a radar detector, very low key, i placed it directly under my rear view mirror so it actually blends in a lot, i don't see it being a problem

i saw in another thread someone attempted to "make" a similar system with a gopro, now THAT'S asking for it, since people actually know a gopro and it's value, plus you have to add components and it lacks a bunch of features, he was easily $400 in the hole and his unit was no where as functional as this was for a vehicle surveillance device, no auto loop, no instant play back, no screen, no 2 min footage clips, no infrared, no time stamp

i can actually see this being used for cruises or track driving, the $90 price tag makes it so worth it, i'm buying another soon for my rx7
Old 03-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Not bad!

Seems like it has similar features as the blackvues.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 PM
W_L
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How were you able to hide the power cable? I see that you went through the glove box. Can you post pictures of the cable route. The pic that you showed were at night time.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:29 PM
W_L
Intermediate

pardon me for my ignorance, how can you hardwire to the dome light? Does that mean when I press the dome light driver side it turns on?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, your install is way too complicated!
I bought a 5v converter for $5, hid it behind the front ceiling panel (the one with lights, sunroof switch, garage opener) and connected 12V wires to the mirror wiring. This way I have an ignition switched power supply.
converter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Buck-Module-12V-to-5V-3A-15W-5V-mini-usb-output-power-adapter-/251120168879?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a77edafafThey only potential problem is that some of those DVRs have non-standard USB jack pinout.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by W_L
pardon me for my ignorance, how can you hardwire to the dome light? Does that mean when I press the dome light driver side it turns on?
There is a constant 12v wire that you would just need to wire into and connect a ground wire, but I figured this way would drain and kill my battery after awhile so instead I bought the power magic pro to regulate my batteries power so it won't die. It will still be hard wired to the car though.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:29 PM
9th Gear

There is a constant 12v wire that you would just need to wire into and connect a ground wire, but I figured this way would drain and kill my battery after awhile so instead I bought the power magic pro to regulate my batteries power so it won't die. It will still be hard wired to the car though.

I did mine to a fuse box, so it turns on and off with ignition. I rarely leave my car parked outside for long. The battery is good for over an hour and a half!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by W_L
How were you able to hide the power cable? I see that you went through the glove box. Can you post pictures of the cable route. The pic that you showed were at night time.
i ran it up into the headliner, down the passenger a-piller, behind the glove box, down the center console, popped out the armrest light and plugged it in there

it turns on and off with the ignition, will never drain my battery, records all the time while i drive, i can manually turn it on to record 100 minutes worth after i park if i choose to
Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by W_L
from what i understand

the dome light wire harness is constant 12v, it's the switch that allows power to turn on the light itself

if you tap the unit into the 12v wire, you should fuse it should anything happen, but the device will be powered 24/7, and you would need to manually turn it off and back on again, this would be the preferred way of wiring it to capture hit n run drivers

the way i have mine plugged in, it powers through the cigarette lighter/ignition, so if i wanted to catch a hit n run driver, i have to park the car, turn off my car, and the unit will power down automatically, i would just need to power it back up before i exit the vehicle and it'll record for 100 minutes worth on a 32gb card

either way you wire it up, it's a great investment, i just ordered 3 more for my sister's odyssey and my dad's tacoma
Old 03-23-2013, 11:13 PM
9th Gear

from what i understand

the dome light wire harness is constant 12v, it's the switch that allows power to turn on the light itself

if you tap the unit into the 12v wire, you should fuse it should anything happen, but the device will be powered 24/7, and you would need to manually turn it off and back on again, this would be the preferred way of wiring it to capture hit n run drivers

the way i have mine plugged in, it powers through the cigarette lighter/ignition, so if i wanted to catch a hit n run driver, i have to park the car, turn off my car, and the unit will power down automatically, i would just need to power it back up before i exit the vehicle and it'll record for 100 minutes worth on a 32gb card

either way you wire it up, it's a great investment, i just ordered 3 more for my sister's odyssey and my dad's tacoma
Yeah i kept the power adapter just to makes sure it's getting the right "power".

It's pretty easy to use. When i go out to dinner with my girlfriend, we usually get done within an hour and a half, so i let it run on battery and when i come back to the car, its still recording. this thing is awesome.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM
9th Gear

just recorded this today. camry driver swears she had the green light. she was happy when she heard i had video recording of the accident and asked for a copy of it. until she heard me say "the rav4 had the green light". watch it in 720p. hard to see light on a phone, best to watch on the computer.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:43 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't see the color of the traffic light at all! Do you have your DVR working even when parked? It uses 300-400mA, I wouldn't be comfortable to power it from the battery.

My wife caught a minor hit and run on her dashcam

Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Cruisin'

I haven't caught any accidents or anything either but I got this recorded. I was at a light and I had right of way and two Honda's a Prelude and a Civic Si pulls in front I was alright...and then I heard the Prelude start WOT and so I was like game on lets play for a little.

I have a 2008 Honda Accord EXL V6 6 speed most of the time I was in 4th gear I didn't feel the need to downshift. Towards the end I shifted into 5th to catch them.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
wow i need to get one of these cameras for sure. There is some crazy stuff that has happened around me while driving that i wish i could have had recorded... awesome thread!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 AM
Cruisin'

Well... I did get hit sadly and caught it on camera...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsLZ4...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Instructor

sorry to hear you got hit by some moron. good to see you had the camera though.... i need one of these soon!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bbergero1181
sorry to hear you got hit by some moron. good to see you had the camera though.... i need one of these soon!
The cop really liked that I had a dash cam and wanted one herself for her personal car, she said I have a really good case against the person.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Instructor

you saying that about the cop made me think... the cam would also record audio in the event of you being pulled over, theres good insurance against crooked cops... they probably wouldn't even see it or know what it was if they did see it.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:44 PM
9th Gear

Well... I did get hit sadly and caught it on camera...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsLZ4...ature=youtu.be
Sorry to hear. good thing you have her plates and everything recorded!!

Originally Posted by gt1
I can't see the color of the traffic light at all! Do you have your DVR working even when parked? It uses 300-400mA, I wouldn't be comfortable to power it from the battery.

My wife caught a minor hit and run on her dashcam

dashcam

Were you watching in hd720? standard resolution does not have the clarity at all for you to review the light. I have it wired with the harness that they sell at the site to the fuse box, I picked a fuse that is constantly 12v. Since i drive my car everyday, i haven't had any issues with it draining the battery.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
I just ordered one- $102 after taxes with no memory card. Not a bad deal considering I was looking at the blackvue ones which are like $250+. Great find OP
Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
9th Gear

just recorded this. almost took out the kids skateboard on the way home last night! watch in 720 HD for better clarity

Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 PM

^^^ can you run this camera with a battery? say, you wanna record your exhaust tone or you go skydiving, can this be operated like a GO PRO?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ can you run this camera with a battery? say, you wanna record your exhaust tone or you go skydiving, can this be operated like a GO PRO?
On the website it says it can be ran on battery for over an hour with IR on. with IR off it can be ran for almost 2 hours.

What i can confirm is, there is a removable battery, and i can pull it off the mount and do playback/record with it unplugged.
swoosh (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Found this
http://dx.com/p/h-264-720p-wide-angl...-2-5-lcd-54137

Avoid the middle man. Looks the same for far cheaper. I've ordered from DX before. Ships from China so it takes a few weeks but I've always got what I ordered.

Quick Reply: DIY: Installed a digital dash cam onto the car, aka DVR