Wow....Whole new paint job!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow....Whole new paint job!

So i bought my car about 5 weeks ago. Its a 2012 tl awd with the advance package. It is the cbp (black color). I decided to finally get around to give it a nice detailing. I noticed a bunch of little circles (aparently they are called crow feet) on the roof, hood, and truck area. I talked to a buddy that is in the paint industry, and he said the only way to fix this is to repaint the car. I took my car to acura on Friday and had their head manager look at my paint. He says that he has seen this before on black tsx and tl. He said it is extremely rare, and said it was called crow feet too. He said he cannot sign off on the fix, so they have an acura rep coming to look at it on Tuesday. I asked him what they usually do for this. He said they will most likely repaint any part of the car that is metal. Will take about 3-4 weeks to get back! I seriously cant believe that this is happening...i have the worst luck. The car did have some swirl marks on it, so i guess those will atleast be gone. Im depressed my beauty will be leaving me for almost a month😡
Old 04-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Can you post pics?

I don't know that I have ever hear of Acura repainting a car and even. Ore interesting that yours is a 2012 and not a newer car. Guess this would be covered under the OEM warranty??
Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Advanced

After doing alot of research trying to find pics, i found this link. Scroll down and you will see about 4-5 pics. That is pretty much what my car looks like on the hood, truck, and the top.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/paint-blemish-pictures-671749/
Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
I had a paint issue with my 2012 and my dealer repainted the affected areas without question, they had the car back in about a week, they did a flawless job. They had to recleared my hood, fender and door.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Wreak, when they repaint, do they strip the vin stickers off the parts painted? All doors, truck, hood, etc have those vin stickers that shows everything matches and havent been replaced. Do those go away? Also, will this show up on Carfax?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Wreak, did your paint problems look like the pics showed in that link? If so, are you worried that they will show up in other panels on the car over time?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
My issues were with the clear coat (fish eyes) they didnt have to repaint the entire car. If they repair your car they wont pull the vin tags or anything they wouldnt repaint the doors jams and everything they will likely only repaint the affected areas and blend the paint. Im not worried about fish eyes showing up elsewhere as they cant happen over time.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Is the cbp paint job defects a common thing?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
It's a common thing with Acura/Honda's. It's mostly seen in the grey colours or black. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it's the issue where the paint under the clear coat bakes and splits. It's a warranty thing and they generally repaint it all.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
There are a few of us on here that experienced this, but pretty sure all of us are 2010's. Here is a link to the thread I started when I noticed it. The end result was a full repaint of all metal surfaces (fully covered under warranty) but I'm pretty sure I've read of others that didn't get it taken care of. I'm sure you'll have no issues since you have a 2012, assuming it's the same problem.

Click here
Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 AM
keep it clean

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
TLisious,

I just started the process about a week and a half ago, and it's killing me. Only had my 4G for about 2 weeks before I dropped it off at dealership for repaint. Have the same issue with crows feet in the base coat on basically all metal parts, so they're stripping it down to bare metal and repaint.

I spoke with potzmilk about his experience, and took his advice to monitor the progress while they repaint my car. I stopped by the shop last week to take some pics, and inspect the car after initial tear down. Also, this was a good time to see the quality of their shop and how their technicians treat other vehicles they're working on.

The shop my TL is being serviced at is certified on Audi, Mercedes Benz, Toyota, Acura, and other makes, so I'm not worried about the quality of their work. The work areas for all vehicle bays were well organized and clean. Plus, the shop will warranty their work for the lifetime of my vehicle, as long as I am the owner of the vehicle.

I have another 3 weeks to go, and can't wait to drive her home! Good luck with your repaint.

Last edited by AcuraIntegTL; 04-21-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TLisious, at least Acura is reparing the issue for you. My 2010 CBP was 4k miles outside the paint warranty, so they refused to do it. My entire hood, roof, fenders, and trunk are covered in crows feet now. In direct sunlight it looks like the entire car is covered in dust. I complained to corporate and after a lot of back and forth they will only cover 50% of the $5000 estimated paint job.

Kinda stingy if you ask me...considering Honda extended the paint warranty on all their CBP cars to 70k. The cost of having a "luxury" car I guess.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Well they have an acura rep coming in tomorrow to sign off on the repairs and let me know exactly how they are going to handle it. The manager at acura, stated that in the past, they usually paint the car. I will keep everyone posted. For those of you that had acura repaint your car, did the car look good? Can you see tape marks....etc? I know alot of that has to do with the company painting it, but im just nervous as hell
Old 04-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Quick update..so the acura rep still hasn't seen my car as he keeps getting sidetracked with other areas. It might not be until next Thursday now until he stops in. A question for those of you that have got the car repainted. Can you tell the car was repainted? Does it look good as in no tape marks, blemishes, etc? Did you have to get the whole car repainted or just the problem areas?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 PM
keep it clean

Originally Posted by TLisious
Quick update..so the acura rep still hasn't seen my car as he keeps getting sidetracked with other areas. It might not be until next Thursday now until he stops in. A question for those of you that have got the car repainted. Can you tell the car was repainted? Does it look good as in no tape marks, blemishes, etc? Did you have to get the whole car repainted or just the problem areas?
I've been checking on my car every step of the way, and I'm happy at this point. They just got done spraying the car and it looks real good. The only part they are not repainting on my TL is the rear bumper. With the quick look I took around the car, it doesn't appear to be repainted, other than the obvious fact that it's not in one piece. They still need to wait for the paint to cure, so it may be another week. I also had the back piece painted black, figured might as well get it done now while the bumpers off, and get it covered under warranty. And I'm leaving it debadged.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuraIntegTL
I've been checking on my car every step of the way, and I'm happy at this point. They just got done spraying the car and it looks real good. The only part they are not repainting on my TL is the rear bumper. With the quick look I took around the car, it doesn't appear to be repainted, other than the obvious fact that it's not in one piece. They still need to wait for the paint to cure, so it may be another week. I also had the back piece painted black, figured might as well get it done now while the bumpers off, and get it covered under warranty. And I'm leaving it debadged.
Acurainteg, are they stripping off all the seals around the doors, sunroof, etc (and replacing them, Or do they tape up to the seals and paint?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:08 PM
keep it clean

Acurainteg, are they stripping off all the seals around the doors, sunroof, etc (and replacing them, Or do they tape up to the seals and paint?
They removed everything. The only thing left on the car was the front windshield and rear window. I spoke with my service rep and they've already ordered new parts for all the pieces that can't be reused.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Advanced

They removed everything. The only thing left on the car was the front windshield and rear window. I spoke with my service rep and they've already ordered new parts for all the pieces that can't be reused.
Wow, Thats great! I was hoping that is how they do it. My car had the crows feet on the good, roof, and truck.....i have read that sometimes they only fix the problem areas. Did you car have these crows feet on other panels then the ones mentioned?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Advanced

I meant hood, roof, and trunk
Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 PM
keep it clean

Wow, Thats great! I was hoping that is how they do it. My car had the crows feet on the good, roof, and truck.....i have read that sometimes they only fix the problem areas. Did you car have these crows feet on other panels then the ones mentioned?
They took the hood, roof, trunk, front/back pillars, to bare metal. The service rep told me the doors and fenders had no crows feet, so they were not stripped to the bare metal, only prep and repainted. I don't mind since the whole car was repainted, minus the bumper.

Also, if I ever have any issues is covered under warranty.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Advanced

They took the hood, roof, trunk, front/back pillars, to bare metal. The service rep told me the doors and fenders had no crows feet, so they were not stripped to the bare metal, only prep and repainted. I don't mind since the whole car was repainted, minus the bumper.

Also, if I ever have any issues is covered under warranty.
Acurainteg, thanks for the update! Keep me updated going forward....it will be much appreciated! I will do the same
Old 04-30-2014, 01:33 AM
keep it clean

Acurainteg, thanks for the update! Keep me updated going forward....it will be much appreciated! I will do the same
Quick update: Waiting for the tech to reassemble my TL. Should be completed by early next week.

Also, I've been taking pictures through most of the process and will load them in a new thread when the whole process is complete. Don't want to hijack your thread.

Last edited by AcuraIntegTL; 04-30-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Well i just got a call from the dealership. The acura rep finally had time to look at my cars paint. He stated that the paint defects (crows feet) were caused by the environment. He said that something was dripped on the car such as acid rain, bird droppings, etc, and are not going to warranty it..after all the research i have done, my paint issues are exactly what i have seen on this forum and on others. If you even google crows feet and go to images, it looks exactly the same. I cant believe that is the answer they gave me. Im not a paint expert, but im no dummy either! I also took it to my buddy that is in the paint industry, and he knew exactly what it was within 30 secs. Lets just say im extremely disappointed with acura, and insult to injury, they gave me a paint quote to fix it for $2700. Im seriously sick to my stomach! Is there something i can do or someone i can talk to to help me with this issue? My car is a 2012 with 10,200 miles on it.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Well i just got a call from the dealership. The acura rep finally had time to look at my cars paint. He stated that the paint defects (crows feet) were caused by the environment. He said that something was dripped on the car such as acid rain, bird droppings, etc, and are not going to warranty it..after all the research i have done, my paint issues are exactly what i have seen on this forum and on others. If you even google crows feet and go to images, it looks exactly the same. I cant believe that is the answer they gave me. Im not a paint expert, but im no dummy either! I also took it to my buddy that is in the paint industry, and he knew exactly what it was within 30 secs. Lets just say im extremely disappointed with acura, and insult to injury, they gave me a paint quote to fix it for $2700. Im seriously sick to my stomach! Is there something i can do or someone i can talk to to help me with this issue? My car is a 2012 with 10,200 miles on it.
wow thats a brand new car.... maybe you can invest in another paint option the paint industry is changing dip your car could be an option.. just my opinion though
Old 05-07-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced

Thats an idea, but i would really like to have my car taken care of. With how many spots i have, it would have taken 1000 flocks of seagulls to produce it...its a really crappy excuse they are using, and i cant believe they would use it for a car with this little miles. If it was caused by the environment (which it was not), then these cars have the crappy paint that i have ever seen...its an embarrassment to the company!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:11 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TLisious, print out TSB 12-049. That is the official Honda TSB for the crows feet on the Civics. They extended the paint warranty on all Honda CBP to 70k, unfortunately it doesn't affect Acuras. Take the TSB to the dealer rep and ask him to explain how this isn't the same issue.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced

Thanks czechboy....will do!
Old 05-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I'd seriously get a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:01 PM
keep it clean

TLisious, any update on how things are going with your TL? I hope they decided to perform the work under warranty. I responded in another thread regarding my progress. Thought I would share since I said I would keep you updated.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...errerid=307692