Sponsored by: DashLynx

New owner of a CPO but already 2 potential issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:08 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New owner of a CPO but already 2 potential issues

Hello all,

This is my first post here as I recently traded in my trusty 2004 4 cyl EX-L Accord for a 2012 TL SHAWD with Elite Pack (I think it's called Advanced in the US).
The car only had 40,000 km (25,000 miles). Basically, it's almost new.

I picked it up last Tuesday and so far, I love it. Sooooo much better than my old Accord !

I do have 2 concerns with it though..

1- I believe it has the propeller shaft issue that has been discussed a lot here. I distinctly hear the whistle sound on the highway. My brother in law drove it and told me he heard it too. I'll mention it to the dealer and see what they say. Hopefully they don't argue and fix under warranty !

2- The shocks/struts seem to be worn. When I hit uneven pavement / ripples in the pavement (which we have a lot of in Quebec), I hear a knocking in the front suspension. I suppose it could be argued that this is "normal wear and tear" ?

Given that the car I bought was "certified" by an Acura dealer, I'm kind of annoyed that they wouldn't have fixed a known issue (the propeller shaft) and that they wouldn't have noticed the issue with the suspension...

Am I being to picky or demanding ? I mean... it is a used car but still.. not that old and to have to spend money on repairs right away was certainly not what I had in mind.

What do you think ? Should all of this been addressed before picking it up ?

Thanks !

Chaotik
Old 04-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
25000 miles is not enough for the shocks to be blown, if they are i would think they should be replaced under warranty.

dont think you will have any problem getting the propeller shaft replaced
Old 04-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you should still be covered under the 4yr 80k bumper to bumper warranty. so take it in and see what needs to be replaced
Old 04-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaotik
Hello all,

This is my first post here as I recently traded in my trusty 2004 4 cyl EX-L Accord for a 2012 TL SHAWD with Elite Pack (I think it's called Advanced in the US).
The car only had 40,000 km (25,000 miles). Basically, it's almost new.

I picked it up last Tuesday and so far, I love it. Sooooo much better than my old Accord !

I do have 2 concerns with it though..

1- I believe it has the propeller shaft issue that has been discussed a lot here. I distinctly hear the whistle sound on the highway. My brother in law drove it and told me he heard it too. I'll mention it to the dealer and see what they say. Hopefully they don't argue and fix under warranty !

2- The shocks/struts seem to be worn. When I hit uneven pavement / ripples in the pavement (which we have a lot of in Quebec), I hear a knocking in the front suspension. I suppose it could be argued that this is "normal wear and tear" ?

Given that the car I bought was "certified" by an Acura dealer, I'm kind of annoyed that they wouldn't have fixed a known issue (the propeller shaft) and that they wouldn't have noticed the issue with the suspension...

Am I being to picky or demanding ? I mean... it is a used car but still.. not that old and to have to spend money on repairs right away was certainly not what I had in mind.

What do you think ? Should all of this been addressed before picking it up ?

Thanks !

Chaotik
The dealership should take care of both issues, strange they did not test drive the car themselves before going to the CPO process.

The propeller shaft is a known issue will be replaced free of charge; your suspension problem is another story, with the low mileage the vehicle has that should not be, only when hit a deep pot-hole or drive over an obstacle at speed might give you that kind of problem.

I would insist at the dealership to check the entire suspension and accordingly request repair/replacement free of charge plus free rental vehicle.

I would also demand a recheck of the vehicle, and ask if you can bring a mechanic.

Look at your CPO checklist if everything was done (Fluids & Filters) (Check tires & Rims - Look for abuse - Like damage on the rims check tires, do you have vibration at certain speeds or vibration with breaking, does the car pull at a certain direction when breaking, etc.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:16 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
I guess it would depend on the dealer but from what I have seen, CPO inspections are a lot of BS. Sort of like all the inspections they are supposed to do to justify that $125 charge for an oil change and tire rotation. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they don't do crap but I assume much of it is more visual than anything. However, CPO is good for that additional warranty. At the end of the day, CPO car is a used car and can have issues. Don't let the CPO tag fool you into thinking that that the car has been restored to "new".
The following users liked this post:
losiglow (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
The CPO is only good for the warranty. They do visual checks and that's it. I had my car in the dealer three times for things the 150 checkpoint was suppose to cover. Needless to say they did replace or fix the issues but tpit should have been done in the first place.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced

I have an appointment next week at my dealership.
They will provide me with a courtesy car which is nice.

Of couse, even though I tried to steer them in the right direction (prop shaft and such), they said they need to do their own diagnosis which I suppose is normal. Hopefully they find the problem.

I also mentionned to them the torque converter software update issue since there are times, when I hit the throttle just the right amount where the car jitters a bit during acceleration.

They said they may have to keep the car for a few days to go over all 3 issues.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:39 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Congrats with the TL, i hope all your issues get resolved..
Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Advanced

My TL is now in the shop. They'll call me tomorrow.
In the meantime, I'm riding in a 2014 RDX with Tech.
I much prefer the TL. The RDX steering feels much lighter than the TL. I was never a fan of SUVs and crossovers.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:21 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
To me CPO is just a sales gimmick.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Advanced

I agree with you with respect to the "inspection" part of it.
But it does come with a very good interest rate (2.9% for 60 months in my case) + some kind of extra warranty.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:53 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
But all used cars go through inspection before sold at major dealerships. They wouldn't buy/sell it if it didn't. I feel they use it for the cars that sit for awhile. But, extended warranty on them is nice and they are priced a little better for a quick sale.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
If you live in Quebec, blown shocks could definitely happen. Those roads are so horrible.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
If you live in Quebec, blown shocks could definitely happen. Those roads are so horrible.
I know... Roads are terrible ! Having said that, I expected blown anything to be fixed when taking ownership of an almost new CPO.

I got an update from the dealership today. They are keeping my car overnight and tomorrow.

They confirmed the driveshaft issue. New driveshaft is going in tomorrow.
They have sent some tranny data for analysis somewhere to see if there's something wrong with the torque converter. They'll have more news on that tomorrow.

As for the suspension, the jury is still out. It sounds like they didn't get to that yet.

I get to keep the RDX for another day. So far, they take good care of me which is a definite bonus !
Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaotik
I know... Roads are terrible ! Having said that, I expected blown anything to be fixed when taking ownership of an almost new CPO.

I got an update from the dealership today. They are keeping my car overnight and tomorrow.

They confirmed the driveshaft issue. New driveshaft is going in tomorrow.
They have sent some tranny data for analysis somewhere to see if there's something wrong with the torque converter. They'll have more news on that tomorrow.

As for the suspension, the jury is still out. It sounds like they didn't get to that yet.

I get to keep the RDX for another day. So far, they take good care of me which is a definite bonus !
Which dealership do you go to? Are you in Hull? I'm in Ottawa and friggen Camco Acura treats me like crap. Been trying to find a better place.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
Which dealership do you go to? Are you in Hull? I'm in Ottawa and friggen Camco Acura treats me like crap. Been trying to find a better place.
I am dealing with Acura Brossard (south shore of Montreal). It's also where I bought it.
I'm afraid it would be quite the schlep for you

So they just called me and the news is good.

- New driveshaft is ordered
- New torque converter is ordered
- There is an issue with the shocks at the back which they will fix.

Everything is covered by the warranty BUT the TC is backordered by 3-4 weeks.

I'm picking up the TL tonight and will get another appointment when they have all the parts and they will fix everything at once.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Dealers just do a visual to get the CPO seal of approval and let the new owner find the problems. Then they bill Honda for the repairs otherwise, the dealer would have to pay for the repairs before it was sold.

I could be wrong, but the dealer makes out on both the sale and service.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Status update :

I just picked up my car from the dealer after a 2 day repair.
They fixed the TC, propeller shaft and suspension. They also ended up changing a crank seal that apparently was leaking a little.

During the fix they loaned my an ILX... Boy.. it's no TL ! But it beats the bus any day

So far the whistle sound is gone. But the biggest improvement is with the tranny. It shift sooo much smoother now. I'm glad I got them to look at this. If I had not, I wouldn't have known any better.

Finally, a great shout out to the people at Acura Brossard who really did go the extra mile to take care of this issue. I'm very happy with their service.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:55 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Good to hear that everything is fixed up for you.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Darn.. Looks like I was too quick to celebrate.

When I pulled out of my driveway this AM, I noticed a puddle of red fluid on the ground, more or less under the engine bay.

I suppose it's tranny fluid which would indicate the TC fix was not done correctly ? Either way, I guess it has to go in, again.. !

That car spent more time at the dealer then in my driveway in the month and a half I had it !